- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Rice Porridge - Arroz Caldo Recipe
Arroz Caldo Recipe
December is coming, and what are you going to do during this cold season? Yes, put on those thick clothes and most especially, eat hot soups and porridges such as arroz caldo.
Arroz caldo is a type of Filipino congee or lugaw popularly served to people who are sick, elderly and to those who really wants it as a snack or even meal. It resembles the Chinese congee called risotto but because during Spaniard’s empire, they are having a difficulty in pronouncing it, they named it as arroz caldo.
It is characterized by the presence of pork, tofu or scallions which are usually diced, toasted garlic as well as some boiled eggs. But nowadays, people prefer to use chicken meat because it gives more taste to the dish which makes it distinct to any other congees. So if you want to try and cook some of it for your family, follow the recipe given below:
You will need:
× 1 kilogram chicken (cut into pieces)
× 1 cup uncooked rice
× 6 cups water
× 1 tablespoon fried garlic (minced)
× 1 tablespoon scallions
× 1 piece onion (chopped into thin slices)
× 1 piece ginger (chopped into thin slices)
× 4 pieces garlic (chopped into thin slices)
× Fish sauce
× Cooking oil
How to cook:
1. Pour some cooking oil in a frying pan and sauté garlic until it turns brown. Set the fire into medium heat.
2. Add onions and ginger. Stir for about 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add the chicken and fish sauce. Stir and let it cook for about another 2 mintues.
4. Add the rice and water. Stir again, cover and let it boil for about 10 to 20 minutes. Be sure to set the fire into medium low heat now.
5. And from time to time, stir it to avoid the rice to stick on the pan.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste. Make sure that its soup is thickened before you serve it.
× You can add sliced lemons on the serving bowls to make it more appealing to the eyes.
MORE FILIPINO FOOD RECIPES HERE:
- filipinofoods on HubPages
I'm a restaurant owner in Manila, Philippines. Cooking Filipino foods and other Asian dishes is my passion. I am proud of Filipino culture and have...