Asparagus & Bacon Stromboli Recipe
Somewhere in the process of getting its dough rolled, Stromboli looked Pizza straight in the eye and proclaimed, "I'm too good for you!". Wow, now those are some seriously harsh and jabbing words from a folded and baked pastry, but it couldn't be more true. There's just something special about taking your average pizza dough, topping it and rolling it all up to be baked like a giant log. What I'm getting at here is that strombolis call for just more than mozzarella and marinara. So, more is what you'll get with this asparagus and bacon stromboli recipe!
Recipe Yields: 1 Lrg. Stromboli Prep Time: 45 Minutes Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Stromboli Dough Ingredients -
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Package Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Cup Warm Water
- 1/4 Cup Light Olive Oil
- 1/2 Pound Bacon (Cooked & Chopped)
- 1/2 Pound Asparagus (Halved Lengthwise)
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (Sliced)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 2 Tablespoons Deli Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Flakes
- 1 Cup Monterrey Jack Cheese
- 1 Cup Muenster Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- Begin by preparing the dough. Dissolve the sugar into the warm water and add the active dry yeast. Set the mixture aside for five minutes.
- While the yeast becomes active, sift flour and salt into a large bowl. With a fork, incorporate the light olive oil into the flour.
- When the yeast mixture has begun its expansion, combine with the flour. Stir until a dough ball forms. Then, on a lightly floured surface, knead for 3-5 minutes.
- Place kneaded dough in a covered and lightly oiled bowl to raise.
- While the dough does its thing, cook the bacon and keep 1-2 teaspoons of bacon fat in the frying pan.
- Set the heat to medium high and add the onions and asparagus. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until just slightly limp.
- To the asparagus and onions, add the garlic, mustard and chili flakes. Cook for additional 30 seconds.
- Once the asparagus and onion are coated with the mustard, garlic and chili flakes, take the pan off the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. You can shred the cheese now to prepare for assembly!
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- On a floured surface, roll dough into a rectangle.
- Top the dough with even amounts of shredded cheese, bacon and your seasoned veggies!
- Roll and seal the dough with water if needed.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. The crust should be golden brown.
Nothing Beats a Homemade Stromboli -
Ah, the soft yeasty bread paired with the meaty flavors of bacon and asparagus! Together they meld perfectly to complement the spiciness of the mustard and sweetness of the onion. Now that's a rocking stromboli! On a more serious note, this stromboli from scratch is a great way to make use of spring season ingredients, all while adding a unique flare to your dinner plate. Make it, bake it, & ENJOY! Thank you for reading this recipe for Asparagus and Bacon Stromboli.