Asparagus Fettuccini Recipe with Parsley
As the summer heats up, we try to do less and less baking and find dishes with shorter cooking times. In addition, of course, we love to take advantage of all of the fresh vegetables that are now in season and delicious (not to mention cheaper).
If you would like something easy, quick, and bursting with fresh vegetables, this pasta is a perfect choice. The fresh taste of asparagus mixed with whole juicy grape tomatoes and the bite of fresh Italian parsley give this filling pasta dish a delicious spring taste. It was a beautiful dish to welcome summer to our table. Enjoy!
This recipe is vegetarian and vegan.
Asparagus Fettuccini with Parsley Recipe
serves at least four heartily
- 12 ounces dried fettuccini
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 oz flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 4 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup white wine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- optional: fresh parmesan or Romano to grate over top.
1. Start water boiling in a large pot.
2. While waiting for water to boil, skin the garlic. Wash the asparagus, tomatoes, and parsley. Press the garlic cloves with the flat of the knife then slice finely. Chop the asparagus into bite-sized lengths (being sure first to cut off and discard the woody ends). Leave the tomatoes whole, but finely chop the Italian parsley.
3. When the water boils, add the pasta.
4. In a separate frying pan, add the olive oil and butter (or margarine) and heat over medium.
5. When the butter is melted and the pan is hot, toss in the garlic, asparagus, tomatoes, and parsley. Toss for just a minute or two, then add the white wine. Let steam just long enough to cook the vegetables slightly--you want the asparagus to be done but still crisp and the tomatoes not heated enough to burst their skins. When it reaches this stage remove promptly from the heat and set aside.
6. When pasta is done, drain it and return it to its pot. Turn off the heat. Stir in the veggies from the pan, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately. A little fresh Romano or parmesan cheese grated over the top of each plate is an optional delicious addition to this dish. This pasta would also work well chilled and served cold. Enjoy!