5 Ingredient Iranian Rice Recipe
Golden Brown Iranian Chelo
What is Chelo
Making rice of any kind can bring home cooks to their knees at the passing thought of unwanted results. Today it is time to put the lack of rice confidence aside! This Chelo (CHEH-loh)—meaning rice—frees you from any worries surrounding rice recipes. This great recipe is clear, simple, and drawn out for you in a picture by picture layout to help you not only manage rice cooking, but show you how to proudly place a delightfully fluffy and popular Middle Eastern rice dish on your dinner table. You only need 5 regular old pantry and fridge ingredients, and a little rice know how. No matter your cooking skill set, this Iranian rice recipe is going to turn out beautiful and tasty! Let's go make some tempting, classic chelo!
Rate This Middle Eastern Rice Recipe
Cook Time for Chelo, Iranian Rice
Chelo Ingredients (Middle East Rice)
5 Familiar Chelo Ingredients
- 1-1/2 cups (375 ml) Rice, preferably basmati
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Yogurt, plain
- 2-2/3 cups (650 ml) Water
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) Butter, cut into cubes, and softened
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Salt, course
Picture by Picture Directions for Starting CheloClick thumbnail to view full-size
Picture by Picture Directions for Finishing CheloClick thumbnail to view full-size
Instructions for Making Middle Eastern Rice
- Rinse the rice several times to clean away any dust and debris from manufacturing and packaging. Let the water drain off thoroughly (about 1 minute).
- Add a little bit of the water to the plain yogurt and mix with a fork or whisk. This is to thin the yogurt and prevent lumps. Then add in all of the 2-2/3 cups of water to make a yogurt liquid. Be sure to stir with a fork to incorporate the water completely.
- Pour the rinsed and drained rice into a saucepan (NOTE: Using a non-stick pan is highly recommended), making sure it is evenly distributed on the bottom of the pan. Add the yogurt, butter and salt to the rice. Stir them in just enough to incorporate the ingredients together, but not so much that you disturb the evenness of rice layer.
- Bring the liquid to a boil over medium-high heat. Now, turn heat down and let it simmer until half of the water has been absorbed by the rice and the steam has punched holes through the surface of the rice. (You should be able to see the holes on the surface of the rice pretty clearly.)
- At this point, you want to "fluff" the rice with a fork. Next, cover the saucepan with a lid and cook over medium heat. When you see that the edges are a golden brown color, the rice is done(about 45 minutes).
- Take the lid off of the saucepan and invert a flat plate on the opening of the pan instead. Carefully flip the saucepan over to release the formed rice. The rice should pop out on the plate in a single form. Tapping the bottom of the pan can help release the rice.
- Cut rice in wedge shaped servings and proudly present your perfect Chelo to family and friends!
- NOTE: Adding your favorite herbs and spices to the thinned yogurt (see step #2) before cooking brings an unexpected zing to this rice recipe! Enjoy!
Adding Egg Protein to Rice Recipes
If you want to give this dish a nutritional kick, adding a couple of scambled eggs to it can booste the protein quite a bit. To make the chelo recipe with eggs, do as follows:
(When your rice is to the point where you have fluffed it—step #5—and before the final 45 minute cooking period)
- In a small bowl, beat two fresh eggs with 1 teaspoon of cool water
- Pour the eggs over the rice, making sure to get it evenly distributed
- Give the pan a shake or two to settle the beaten eggs to the lower part of the rice
- Continue cooking according to steps 5 through 8
Adding the eggs also will assist in holding the rice form in shape when you go to turn it out onto the plate. I add a little sage and cumin when I make it with the eggs and it makes a really good rice recipe! Now go enjoy your Iranian rice dish!
I Bet You Never Expected Pita Pocket Bread to be this Easy to Make!
- Pita Bread, a 5 Ingredient Middle Eastern Recipe
Perfect Pita Bread from your own kitchen every time! Simple to follow picture by picture directions guide you through the easy 5 ingredient pita pocket recipe. No worries, you just can't fail with this Middle Eastern Recipe!
Chelo Nutrition Values May Vary, Depending on Types of Ingredients Used
|Serving size: 3/4 cup (cooked)|
|Calories from Fat||180|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 20 g||31%|
|Saturated fat 11 g||55%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 35 g||12%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 48 mg||16%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|