- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Central Asian Cuisine
Authentic Mughlai Cuisine- Chicken Butter Masala
Mughal cuisine is one of the finest and richest food cultures that we have amongst the numerous outstanding food cultures.
A legend behind the famous Chicken Butter Masala is that when Emperor Aurangzeb went ill, the Vaids, or local doctors of the king advised a preparation of chicken, yoghurt and mild spices for smooth digestion of the king. Thus “Dahi Murg” was born (dahi meaning yoghurt and murg meaning chicken).
Over the centuries the dish has undergone enrichments and enhancements to finally come into its proper present day form.
As the name suggests the key ingredients are chicken, butter and spices. Here is how to make a rich, thick, creamy and juicy bowl of Chicken Butter Masala.
Raw, skinned chicken
red chili powder
ginger garlic paste
· Take 3 boiled eggs and remove the boiled yolk
· Boil the chicken pieces at high flame for ten minutes
· Chop the green chilies and onions and make a fine paste
· Take a large saucepan and preheat it for 5 minutes on a high flame
· Add 50 grams of butter to it
· Let the butter melt and heat up then add the onion-chili paste and sauté till you get
a golden brown mixture
· Add red chili powder, garam masala powder and coriander powder to the mixture
· Lower the flame to a medium level
· After you start getting the smell of the spices add the ginger garlic paste and mix thoroughly
· When the paste in the saucepan starts to give off a strong smell of spices add the yoghurt and mix
· Now add the fresh cream and mix thoroughly
· Add the turmeric and mix until you get a thick golden color of the mixture
· Add the boiled yolk after crushing it and mix
· Add the boiled chicken
· Add the remaining eggs
· Add salt to taste
· Add sugar until you get a perfect sweet and sour blend from the gravy
· Now add the cashew nuts and resins and stir well
· Leave the saucepan on a low flame( no lid) until the gravy turns thick.(20-30 min)
Now empty the contents into a bowl and garnish with grated cheese.
Mughal Chicken Butter masala is ready to be served.
The above recipe sufficiently serves 4. It is high on the calorie and cholesterol content.
Best taste when served hot.