Avil - Kappalandi Ladoo/ Avil -Kadala Ladoo/ Rice Crispy - Peanuts Balls
Aval or avil is beaten rice.Here, I've used red beaten rice from our farm. My dad grows rice for our own use and the rest he sells locally. Red rice is considered very healthy. Kerala has lot of snacks, desserts, even main course food recipes containing 'aval' or beaten rice.
Another ingredient used is peanuts. Yes, some are allergic to peanuts. But peanuts, esp organic peanuts is considered healthy in our part of the country. Peanuts is called "kadala" or "kappalandi" in Malayalam.
Jaggery is yet another major ingredient used for making aval kadala laddoo. Try to use organic, dirt free jaggery or palm sugar as they are high in iron content and is good for stomach. Growing children and adults benefit by eating jaggery.
- 1 cup Aval or beaten Rice, dry roasted
- 1 cup Peanuts, dry roasted
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup Jaggery, melted in little water and dirt removed, if any
- As desired Cashewnuts, roasted in ghee or butter
- 1/4 cup Dessicated Coconut (optional), dry roasted
- 1 tbspn Butter or ghee, for roasting cashewnuts
- Dry roast aval and peanuts separately in two different pans. Keep them aside.
- Heat ghee or butter in a small pan and roast the cashew nuts till golden brown. One can also skip this, if your children does not like nuts.(I skipped using cashews as my son does not like). Keep it aside to cool.
- Melt jaggery in a thick bottomed vessel adding very little water. Strain it to remove any dirt or residue if any in the jaggery.
- Grind the aval and peanuts together in a mixer or mixie. Collect the fine powder of aval - peanuts in a large bowl. Add the roasted cashews to this mixture and mix well.
- Add the melted jaggery, little by little to the aval - peanut powder and mix it well and roll them into small lemon sized balls. Roll into desiccated coconut and serve immediately. You can also skip this step of rolling in desiccated coconut if you want.
- Can store in airtight containers for a good 2-3 weeks.
- Replace peanuts with roasted almonds or cashewnuts for variations. These balls could be rolled in chopped nuts. Can add raisins or chopped dates for a much tastier & healthier version. Can roll in corn flakes or oats. Can add little powdered oats, if you want.
Aval - Kadala Laddoo
Do You Know?
- Peanuts are high in protein and other nutrients.
- These balls or laddoos are healthy energy boosters for all age groups.
- Jaggery is considered healthier than sugar.
- These laddoos are excellent snacks for kids.
- These laddoos would remain good for 3 weeks at room temperature.