- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Healthier & Awesome: Altered Blueberry Muffins Recipe
I love blueberry muffins. They always remind me of summer visits to Cape Cod when I was a kid. We'd often go to this cute restaurant for breakfast that had blueberry muffins and milk served in mugs shaped like cows. (But that's a whole different story.)
There's two things I look for in a great blueberry muffin: lots of blueberries and a firm consistency to the muffin for spreading butter on. My husband and I came up with this recipe, and it's made to our specifications: this recipe is a little less sweet than others, and has some healthy stuff (oat bran) to make my husband happy :)
Did you know...?
According to Wikipedia, the state of Maine produces 25% of all the lowbush blueberries in North America. It takes about 50,000 beehives to pollinate all the blueberry bushes in Maine. Michigan is the leader in highbush blueberry production. In 1998, Michigan produced about 490,000,000 pounds of blueberries, or 32% of all the blueberries eaten in the United States!
Awesomely Altered Blueberry Muffins
The wonderful thing about this batter is that you can use it for a base, and change the other ingredients to make other types of muffins. Here are some other alterations or additions you can make to this recipe.
- add 1/2 cup of ripe, mashed bananas
- cut blueberries down to 1/2 cup and instead add 1/2 cup of cranberries, raspberries, and/or blackberries (1 cup total of berries)
- add the zest from 1 orange or lemon
- like nuts? add 1/4 cup of ground walnuts to Crunchy Topping mixture
- I love peanut butter in anything - try adding 2 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter to your muffin batter!
Ingredients for Muffins
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk, (skim works fine)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
Ingredients for Crunchy Topping (optional)
- 1/3 cup of white sugar
- a little less than 1/3 cup of all purpose flour
- a little less than 1/4 cup of softened butter
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (ground)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Grease your muffin pan or use muffin cup liners.
- Combine 1 1/4 cups of flour, 1/4 cup of oat bran, 1/4 white sugar, and 1/4 cup of brown sugar in large mixing bowl.
- Put vegetable oil, egg, and milk in smaller bowl or cup. Mix wet mixture with dry ingredients.
- Gently fold blueberries into your batter. Fill muffin cups until 3/4 full with muffin batter.
- (Optional) Mix together Crunching Topping ingredients with fork until blended. This mixture should be crumbly.
- Sprinkle Crunchy Topping over muffin batter before baking.
- Bake muffins at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
I hope you enjoy these muffins!! I certainly do!