Baby Corn Fries Or Baby Corn Bajji Recipe
Let us munch baby corn bajji !! A delicious fingerfood starter that is crispy outside and soft inside!! A popular appetizer used in parties. A healthy snack for kids and adults.
What is Baby Corn?
Baby corn is the individual cob of maize, harvested when they are small and immature, eaten as a vegetable. It is mild sweet in taste; used to make manchurian and other fries that can be used as appetizer in parties. It is also used for making curries, soups and salads. It is a tasty, tender vegetable having soft fragrance. In India, baby corn manchurian is a popular starter dish in parties. In many countries, people make use of canned or freezed baby corn.
- 15 baby corn, Slit lengthwise
- 5 hot red chilli, soaked in water
- 1 inch ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp plain flour / maida
- 4 tbsp chickpea flour / bengal garm flour
- 2-3 tbsp corn flour
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds
- 1 tsp salt, as per taste
- cooking oil, for deep frying
- Take soaked red chilli, ginger and garlic in a blender. Make a paste/powder out of it. This will be added to the batter.
Step-By-Step Cooking Instructions
- Keep slit baby corn pieces ready.
- Take a mixing bowl. Add plain flour, chickpea flour, corn flour, carom seeds, ground mix and salt. Make batter adding water. The batter should be neither thick nor thin. It should be flowing consistency.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Dip baby corn pieces in the batter. Fry them on a medium high flame. It may take about 4-5 minutes for cooking. Remove on an absorbent paper towel. Repeat the process for the entire batter.
- Enjoy eating hot Baby Corn fries with tomato sauce or with any other dip.
Health Benefits of Baby Corn Bajji or Fries
Baby corn has many nutrients. Eating it is beneficial for humans. It controls diabetes and prevents heart ailments. It lowers hypertension. Corn is a staple food in many countries. Corn cereal is popular in the world.
Baby corn is more nutrient rich than the ripe corn. It has less starch compared to matured corn. Babycorn provides nutrients for daily metabolic activities. It is rich in fiber and helps in preventing constipation. Bowel movement becomes easy if you consume baby corn in your daily diet.
It is a source of vitamin A, B, E and many minerals. Also, it is known to prevent colorectal cancer and haemorrhoids.
Needless to say, baby corn is a tasty vegetable that any dish cooked out of it becomes tantalizing and crunchy. Eating baby corn dishes is a satisfying experience.
Do You Know What is the Meaning Of Bajji?
Bajji is a Kannada language word. Bajji means fried snack, made by dipping vegetable slices or whole vegetable(long bajji chilli) in chick pea flour batter. Bajji batter is made in different combinations. The batter tastes spicy.
I hope the following Tips may help you!
I used soaked red chillies for getting bright red color fries. I didn't use any color here.
We get fresh baby corn in India. During cold evenings, we make this bajji and serve to our family members. We all sit together, munch it with hot cup of tea. Needless to say, we will be discussing some topics of common interest. It is a perfect party snack.
Baby corn bajji has distinct taste compared to other vegetable bajjis. Bajji can be served as a side dish for meals. It adds to the value of the meal. It also makes the meals satisfying, even if the meal is otherwise bland.
Baby Corn Fries - Nutrition Information
|Serving size: 1/2 cup (132g)|
|Calories from Fat||117|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 13 g||20%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 3 g||1%|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Sodium 30 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|