- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Soup Recipes
Bacon, Barley and Bean Soup Recipe
Barley soup is good as it is, but when you add a little meat to it, it’s even better. There are recipes for it with beef or chicken. This one uses diced thick bacon. It’s great on a cold day served with crunchy garlic bread.
1 large onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
2 medium zucchinis, diced
8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup pinto or white beans pre-soaked (or canned is fine)
1/3 cup crushed tomatoes or paste
1 cup pearl Barley
1 lb. thick bacon, diced
½ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. basil
½ tsp. oregano
½ tsp. thyme
2 bay leaves
1. In a cooking pot or Dutch oven, over medium heat, cook diced bacon until cooked thoroughly.
2. Remove from pot leaving fat juices behind.
3. Add onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, bay leaves, pepper and sauté in bacon fat until translucent (about 5 minutes)
4. Return bacon back to the pot.
5. Add broth, beans, tomatoes, barley, basil, oregano, and thyme.
6. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for two hours or until barley soft.
7. Re-season if desired.
8. Remove bay leaves.
9. Serve and enjoy.