Bahama Mama Rum Cake with Pecans
Caribbean rum cake whether from Tortuga or made in the Bahamas, is something i crave. They are wonderfully made and have beautiful rum flavor. Trouble is they tend to be expensive and limited in where they are available to be bought.
Real rum, there ain't nothing better when it comes to flavoring anything that requires rum. Real rum just imparts another umph that makes having alcohol, pleasant. But like anything else if you are a little too heavy handed it can backfire and be too over powering.
But it is oh, so good and satisfying if it is just right.
- Aged etc
Real butter, always makes a good recipe for a yellow cake, better. It adds a good flavor and moistness . But if you want a moister cake substituting 1/2 a stick of butter for 1/2 cup of vegetable oil is better.
Soaking, is essential to a moist, well flavored rum cake. Wrapping it tightly and putting it in a dark place also makes for the best flavor if left for a few days, even up to a few weeks. It all depends on the person making a good rum cake
Sugar syrup recipe
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup of rum
- Bring water to boil at medium heat in saucepan
- Add sugar, cook til dissolved
- Add butter and melt
- Pull off heat, and add rum
Yellow cake recipe
- 2 sticks of butter
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch of baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla optional
- 2 tsp of rum
- Beat together softened butter and sugar, adding sugar in small amounts
- add eggs one at a time til each blended, then rum or vanilla
- mix in sifted flour, salt and baking powder
- combine well
- pour into prepared bundt / baking pan, tap the pan on the counter 3 times, wait ten mins
- preheated oven at 350 degrees for 60 mins or til you poke the cake and the stick comes out clean
While the cake is still warm poke it full of holes being careful not to crumble it or tear it too badly, a few won't hurt.
Pour the rum sauce over the cake.
A half cup of pecan halves is all you need for one bundt size cake. After flouring the pan, the nuts needs to be added, remember to be gentle when pouring in the batter so they are not moved around too much.
Preparing baking dish
What you need - ingredients
- butter or oil
- Smear softened butter in pan in all the crevices
- cover with flour, shake and spread around in all crevices
- set aside
When you are ready go ahead cut your cake and smack your momma cause you just got a taste of some real Bahama mama rum cake.
- Bacardi Rum Cakes | The Bahamas
Bacardi Rum Cakes are baked fresh daily and are soaked with authentic Bacardi Rum. These unique, delectable cakes ooze with the deep flavor of rum when you cut into them.