- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How to Make Lobster, Puerto Nuevo Style
What is Puerto Nuevo?
Puerto Nuevo is a seaside village in Baja California, Mexico. It was made famous some 50 years ago for its succulent Pacific spiney lobster, which is renowned throughout Southern California. Back in the old days, local fisherman would cruise up and down the shoreline in their pangas (fishing boats) and dive right off the rocks in search of the best lobsters.
The traditional Puerto Nuevo Lobster is deep fried in lard. They are pan-fried in the lard so the meat of the lobster stays tender and succulent. A good 'ol Mexican beer or some ice cold coca-cola is a must with this dish. Of course don't forget the beans, spanish rice, limes, salsas, and flour and/or corn tortillas.
You can always throw the lobsters on the grill or under the broiler, if you don't want to pan-fry them. You can also boil them with a little water mixed with a little beer, Mexican, preferably.
Servings: Makes 6 servings.
- 6 large Mexican lobsters
- 2 cups lard or solid vegetable shortening
- Old bay seasoning
- 2 cups frijoles (beans)
- 2 cups spanish rice
- Dozen or two of flour and/or corn tortillas
- 2 cups Salsa Fresca
- 2 cups Salsa Verde
- Bring a pot of water mixed with a little Mexican beer, to a boil. Throw in a bit of old bay seasoning.
- Put the lobsters in for about 3 minutes. They won't be thoroughly cooked.
- Heat lard or vegetable shortening, in a heavy deep skillet.
- Split the lobsters in half lengthwise and remove the green tamale inside.
- Season the lobster halves with old bay seasoning and pepper.
- Pan-fry each lobster halve for about 5 minutes on each side, until meat is tender and crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- You can serve them right away or place them in a warm oven until ready to serve
Serve up your Puerto Nuevo Lobsters with frijoles, rice, tortillas, lime and salsas. You can eat the lobster either in a burrito or taco or just by themselves. Use the tortillas to scoop and mop up your beans, rice, excess pan juices and salsas - the Mexican way!
- Baja Style Catering
Baja Mamas is a caterer in Tucson, Arizona specializing in Baja style cuisine. Visit our website to view our full service catering menu.