- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Bake Sale Idea- A Cupcake Recipe That Will WOW Your Customers
Every year, you dread the annual school bake sale. Rows of endless cookies, brownies, breads, and other common items line the tables. You longingly admire the fancy cupcakes in magazines and bake shops- but who has time to whip up something like that? Most of the designs require a PhD in decorating, using fancy tools and weird ingredients.
Enter the bake sale cupcake fairy. She causes you to stumble upon this idea, and you marvel at how simple, easy, and beautiful it looks. Maybe the kids can even help? "Why didn't I think of that?" you wonder. It's okay, I didn't think it up either. I scoured cupcake books until I found one that met my requirements:
- No strange ingredients that require a trip to some specialty bake shop
- No strange tools that cost an arm and a leg to buy
- No elaborate decorations that will ignite frustration and rage
- Easy enough for kids to help
- Adorable design that will catch a customer's eye
Here it is: Blueberry Pie Cupcakes and Raspberry Pie Cupcakes
Ingredients you will need
- One vanilla cake mix
- Two 16 ounce cans of vanilla frosting (make sure it's white)
- Yellow food coloring
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large bags of M&Ms
- A large Ziploc bag to pipe frosting
Prepare the cake
1. Prepare cupcakes according to cake mix directions.
2. When they are finished, make sure to cool completely.
While the kids are waiting
Make the frosting
3. Put the two containers of frosting into a large bowl.
4. Add four drops of yellow food coloring and about a TBS of cocoa powder. Add a little at a time until you get the right color. You want a light brown to mimic pie crust.
Decorating the cupcakes
5. Put frosting on each cupcake, but leave a 1/4 inch rim around the edge. (This will be where the piping goes around)
6. Have the kids put several M&M's on each cupcake, making sure the "M" is facedown. Don't be afraid to smush them a bit. Try not to be too linear. You want it to look like fruit.
7. Put a bunch of frosting in a large Ziploc bag. Cut off the edge (about 1/8 of an inch), and draw three lines horizontally going across each cupcake. Then add three lines going diagonally.
8. Finally, pipe some frosting around the edge to mimic a pie crust. Don't be afraid of it...if you just make little swirls, it looks fine.
Half the fun is arranging them on a plate or wire rack. Pretend they are mini pies and add little labels. You want it to look like a bake shop.
Other fun food themes
- Ice Cream Cake Recipe- Homemade and Easy!
No more stressing over an expensive store bought ice cream cake. This easy and fast recipe uses ice cream sandwiches. It's delicious and people will not even know how you made it. There are several variations, and once you realize how simple it is- i
- How to Make Tacos for a Taco Bar Party
Everything you need to know about creating a festive and authentic Mexican taco bar for your next gathering. This article includes all the recipes you need!
- The Mario Mushroom- Crafts, Food, and More
This article will inspire you with ideas for crafts, decorations, fashion, food, and cupcakes for a mario themed birthday party that centers around the iconic mushroom.