- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Baked Basa Fillets with Breadcrumb Topping Recipe
Panko Breadcrumbs on Amazon
Frying certain fish (tilapia, cod, scallops, etc.) coated in breadcrumbs was an easy way, okay no, not easy, it was a way to introduce new foods into the diet of my daughter when she was younger. Now that her palette has matured, I've been playing around with healthier variations while still maintaining the breaded crunchiness which we all enjoy from time to time.
Panko breadcrumbs have been such a delightful addition to our pantry. Super crunchy when frying or baking, they get the job done right! This breadcrumb topping has tons of flavor, which is perfect for the mildness of the basa. The recipe makes enough for four large basa fillets or even eight small tilapia fillets; depending on the size of your fish, you may not need all of it.
- 4 basa fillets
- 1 cup plain panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 lemon wedges
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray (or brush with a small amount of oil). Place the fish fillets equidistant apart on the sheet, careful not to have me overlap, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic powder and paprika. Add the oil and mix together with a fork until well combined.
- Divide the breadcrumb mixture evenly on top of the basa fillets, pressing gently to adhere the crumbs to the fish. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through and breadcrumbs are browned. Serve with lemon wedges.