Baked Bread Malpuaas
Malpuaas a festive treat .
Generally Malpuaas are made during festivals in India it may be Janaam astami ,Hoil or Devali .It is made with maida (refined flour) or whole wheat flour(atta) mixed with sugar milk and khooya ,all mixed and mashed together and then spread on the shallow pan or tava with a round ladle and shallow fried in ghee or white butter or clarified butter till they are light brown ,after they are fried they are soaked in the previously prepared sugar syrup and left for some time to get them soaked ,and then serve it ,you may garnish them before offering it to the guest with nuts and cardamom powder and may sprinkle some rose water over it
Here is the recipe of Bread malpuaa baked and made in the oven (pancakes made in oven and dipped in sugar syrup):---
Ingredients used to make the malpuaas
- 3 cup sugar(one cup to mix with the milk and 2 cups to make the sugar syrup to pour over the
- malpuaas (the sugar syrup must be one thread thick in consistancy)
- 4 cardamoms (pounded)
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 6 slices of bread
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese or thicked milk called kooya
- one spoon white butter or ghee or clarified butter
- 4 to 5 cashew nuts chopped
- 4 -5 almond chopped
How to make the syrup :-
- To 2 cups of water mix 2 cups sugar place it on the stove and boil till one thread thick consistency
- place it aside to pour over the bread malpuaas.
Method to make the malpooya
- mix 1 cup sugar with 2 cups milk and cottage cheese or kooya add fennel saffron and pounded cardamom mix well with a ladle ,check there are no lumps and add butter to it.
- pre heat the oven to 350* f
- take a baking tray and place the bread slices on the greased tray
- pour the mixture over the slices well now place the tray back into the oven and bake it for 15 to 20 minutes when you take them out they will look baked brown in color and would emit wonderful aroma of baked malpooyas.take them out with a flat spatula place them in a china plates and before serving them hot garnish them with chopped nuts and few seeds and pour one table spoon sugar syrup over them and garnish saffron and cardamom powder