- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Baked Carrot Fries: A Healthy Substitute for Traditional French Fries
Did you know that the average American consumes roughly 29lbs of French Fries per year? That equates to nearly 42,000 calories! If you swapped all those crispy fried potatoes with this recipe instead, you could reduce your caloric intake by more than 80%.
Baked carrot fries are a great alternative to traditional French fries as they have a bold flavor that can compliment just about any meal. They also very inexpensive and extremely easy to make. In the following recipe, I will show you just how easy it is to create this delicious finger food.
- 2 lbs Fresh Carrots, (Baby Carrots will work too)
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- Sea Salt
- Pepper, (Optional)
- Miscellaneous Herbs, (Optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to about 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel the carrots and slice them into quarters lengthwise. Next, slice those pieces in half to make the fries. If you are using baby carrots, you may not need to cut them at all.
- Lightly coat a baking sheet with the olive oil spray.
- Arrange the carrots on the sheet in a single layer that is not too closely packed.
- Lightly coat the coats with the olive oil spray.
- Sprinkle the carrots with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes until the carrots begin to get crispy and turn golden brown. The actual cooking time will vary depending on how thick the carrots are.
|Serving size: 151grams (1/3lb)|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 15 g||5%|
|Sugar 8 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
And that's it! Go ahead and enjoy these delicious carrots as part of a healthy meal or even by themselves as a snack. I believe that you will find these carrot fries to be so delicious that they just may become a staple in your household.
Feel free to add your own variation to the recipe as well. Tossing the carrots with some fresh rosemary or, dill or replacing the sea salt with garlic salt are common ways to spice up this recipe even further.