- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Vietnamese Baked Cassava Cake Recipe (Banh Khoai Mi)
Banh Khoai Mi is sumptuous cake from Vietnam. It is sweet, soft and chewy, and redolent with the aroma of coconut. This is a traditional cake with no flour in the batter. It made of cassava, condensed milk and or steamed mung beans, and made creamy with coconut milk. It is usually eaten as dessert or snack. This sweet cake is a great companion to Vietnamese black coffee.
This is very easy to fix cake. What you need is grated coconut milk from the freezer section of Asian grocery. Always use thick and rich coconut milk. It is available in the can but if possible make it fresh from scratch. This special treat can be enjoyed with a scoop of coconut ice cream or vanilla ice cream.
What You Need
1 lbs frozen grated cassava
1 1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 can sweet condensed milk
1/2 cup sugar
5 tbsp cornstarch
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp salt
How to Fix
- Thaw the frozen grated cassava. Drain any liquid or squeeze the liquid out of the grated cassava.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a 10-inch round cake pan with cooking oil or butter and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine coconut milk, condensed milk, sugar, salt and egg. Whisk until blended. Then add the grated cassava and cornstarch. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan.
- Bake for about 40 minutes to 1 hour or until the top is golden brown. Insert a toothpick into the center of cake to test if the cake is 100% done. If the toothpick comes out clean, its done.
- Use a knife to round the pan side to loosen the cake. Transfer the cake onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges to serve.
More Vietnamese Recipes
- Vietnamese Shaking Beef Steak (Bo Luc Lac) Recipe
How to prepare wok-seared beef steak, a Vietnamese style steak.
- Vietnamese Stuffed Tomatoes (Ca Chua Nhoi Thit) Recipe
How to make Vietnamese style baked stuffed tomatoes.
- Vietnamese Asparagus Crab Soup Recipe (Sup Mang Tay Cua). How to Make Asian Asparagus Crab Soup !
A low fat crab soup recipe.
- Low-Fat Vietnamese Braised Fish In Caramel Sauce Recipe (Ca Kho To)
- Vietnamese Sticky Rice With Mung Beans And Hominy Recipe (Xoi Bap)