- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Pork Recipes
Baked Pork Chop Recipe with Stuffing
Pork Chops with Stuffing
Rate this Recipe
An Easy Weeknight Dinner Recipe: Baked Pork Chops
Pork chops are a great dinner option, but can become tough when baked in an oven. This recipe uses a gravy-like mixture made from canned soup to keep the pork tender while it bakes in the oven, and the savory dressing on top of each pork chop enhances the flavor of the pork.
My six year old son made dinner tonight, as part of the Kids Cook Monday campaign. He was able to perform all of the steps independently, except for braising the pork and cutting the onion into pieces for the food processor. He was able to make the soup gravy mix, form the stuffing mixture, and put everything together in the baking dish.
Ingredients for Pork Chops with Stuffing
- 4 pork chops
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 cups soft bread crumbs, (about 4 slices of bread)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried sage
Preparing Pork Chops with Stuffing: PicturesClick thumbnail to view full-size
How to Make Pork Chops with Stuffing
- Brown pork chops on both sides in a hot skillet. Place the pork chops into an oven-proof baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Tear about four slices of bread into small pieces, about 1" in diameter. Put the soft bread crumbs into a mixing bowl.
- Chop a small onion in a food processor. Add 2 tablespoons of the onion to the bread crumbs.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter and add the butter to the stuffing mixture.
- Add 1/4 cup water to the stuffing mixture.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon thyme and 1/8 teaspoon sage to the stuffing mixture.
- Thoroughly combine the stuffing mixture and place even amounts of stuffing on each pork chop.
- Mix the can of condensed cream of mushroom soup with 1/3 cup water. Pour the soup mixture over the top of the pork chops and stuffing.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, uncovered.
Baking the Pork Chops with StuffingClick thumbnail to view full-size
Alternatives and Substitutions to Pork Chops with Stuffing
The cream of mushroom soup may be exchanged for cream of celery or cream of chicken, if desired. The flavor of the "gravy" topping will change with the soup selection.
1/4 teaspoon of poultry seasoning may be used in place of the thyme and sage recommended above. In addition, the number of pork chops may be reduced without affecting the recipe. We frequently make 2 pork chops for this recipe, as our two young boys do not eat enough meat to require the use of four pork chops yet.
We usually serve this recipe with broccoli and fruit salad, though any vegetable would suit this recipe well as a side dish. We do not make rolls or rice with this recipe since the dish contains a lot of starch in the dressing.