- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Baked Potato Soup With Ham-Bone
After finishing a ham a few years ago, I decided to make a soup. I am not a fan of peas, so a split-pea soup was out. I like ham and potatoes together so I thought of a Baked Potato Soup. I looked online for a recipe, but I could not find one made with a ham bone. After experimenting, I came up with my own recipe. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 Ham Bone, Frozen or Fresh
- 6 Cups Water
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 2 Carrots, Chopped
- 1 Cup Celery, Chopped
- 4 Large Potatoes, Baked, peeled, and cubed
- 2/3 Cup Margarine
- 2/3 Cup Flour
- 7 Cups Milk
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Handful Chives and/or Parsley, Cut up
- Place ham bone, water, onion, carrots, celery and spices in a pot; slowly bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- Bake the potatoes at 350 for around an hour or in the microwave for about 7 minutes. Potatoes should be a little underdone for a better texture in the soup.
- Remove ham bone and let cool. When cool enough remove the meat from the bone and dispose of bone.
- Add flour and margarine to the pot and whisk until smooth. Gradually add milk while continuing to whisk until it starts to thicken. Stir in potatoes and ham. Add the cheese, sour cream, and chives/parsley. Salt and pepper to taste as you go.
- When serving add a dollop of sour cream and the chives/parsley on top.