Baked Potatoes and Tuna Casserole
This dish isn't very expensive and very easy to make. I made it for my husband one time and he loved it! If you want to go ahead and play with the ingredients a bit, by all means go ahead. Make it your own!
- 7 large potatoes, sliced with or without the skin left on
- 4 5-oz cans of tuna
- 2 onions, sliced or diced
- 2 cans of cream of celery
- 2 cups of milk
- salt and pepper
- cheese (optional) - either several slices of white american or 2 bags of any shredded kind
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9x13 pan.
- Place a layer of the potatoes at the bottom of the pan, overlapping them to leave no gaps in between them. (Make sure to save enough to make another layer)
- Using 2 of the cans of tuna, try to spread the tuna evenly over the potatoes.
- Now, using the onions slices, make a layer over the tuna.
- Add some salt and pepper on top of the layer.
- Make another layer of tuna with the last two cans.
- Cover with the last of the potatoes.
- In a separate bowl, thoroughly mix the 2 cans of cream of celery and the 2 cups of milk.
- Pour the soup over top of all of the potatoes.
- Cover tightly.
- Place in oven for an hour.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350.
- Bake for 15 min to allow the sauce to thicken.
- If you are putting cheese onto the dish pull it out after 10 min to cover it completely with cheese and then place back into the oven for the last 5 min.
So far we have tried white american cheese and shredded cheddar. The cheddar was pretty good, but we really liked the white american.