Vanilla & Chocolate Biscuits Recipe
Rate These Biscuits
Vanilla and Chocolate Biscuits
Everyone loves tin of biscuits - a cherry on top if biscuits are home made. If you will ask ten different people to tell how to make good biscuits? they will tell 10 different tips and tricks to make a good biscuit. Like you should make dough in a wooden bowl, or main thing is flour which should be white Lilly brand or white southern brand. Some will say they use lard, and some butter. For some, a biscuit must be huge. Others say small. Liquids added to biscuit flour may include buttermilk, heavy cream, flat beer, sour cream or cola. Cream of tartar can make an appearance in a biscuit recipe, as can baking soda and baking powder. But in my opinion good biscuits can be made of plain flour and with simple ingredients, but don't forget to let your dough rest for 20 to 30 minutes. The only thing to make good biscuits is Practice, the more you practice more better your biscuits will be.
My Memory Of These Biscuits
These are traditional Pakistani biscuits, I used to eat them when I was a kid - and whenever a guest shows up, someone runs to bakery to get these biscuits. There, In villages people usually don't inform in advance even if they are coming from a far city. But a funny thing is, they do have a way which gives them some indication of guests. Yes, It's a well respected myth that a crow on wall mean some guests are bound to arrive.
I tried few recipes of biscuits-some turns out good but not that good to impress my guest. Other recipes were good in look as well but they need few ingredients which are not easily available in kitchen cupboard, at least not in mine. Like shortening, some special white flour, butter milk etc. So I got this recipe and tried few times. Every time they turn out good and irresistible So I decided to share it with you.
This is an easy recipe - even a beginner can make these little beauties perfectly.You can easily keep them in a tin or jar for a fortnight. I usually double the amount of ingredients given below and make about 40 biscuits So I can share them with my friends and neighbours.
Some Useful Tips:
Biscuits dough should not be hard.
Please don't overcook biscuits, 10 to 15 minutes are good for them, depending on ovens.
A mixer is not must for biscuits - fork or hand beater can be used for beating and mixing.
Always keep your biscuits in a tin or in a jar, they will last for at least 15 to 20 days easily.
- 75gm Butter, at room temperature
- 150gm Plain flour
- 1tsp. Baking powder
- 6tbsp. Sugar
- 2drops Vanilla Essence
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1tbsp. Coca Powder
- Preheat your oven at 180C or Gas Mark 4. Beat the butter with sugar and add vanilla essence and egg yolk. Mix well.
- Mix flour and baking powder and add in butter mixture. It should form a soft dough. If hard use few drops of milk.
- Divide the dough in half and add coca powder in half of dough and mix well but do not hardly kneed. Now roll both, and make flat round chapatti shape. It should be half inch thick. Please see picture. Cut rough edges so it make a square. Both dough should be equal in size.
- Put one round shaped dough on top of the other, press a little with hand or rolling pin and roll it slowly in butter paper. Keep this rolled dough in freezer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, Cut and bake.
- There will be some left over corners and edges from last dough as you can see in my pictures where square shaped dough' s are. Use them to make a 2 chocolate log shapes and two vanilla. Put vanilla log on chocolate and vice versa. See picture please. Press with hand. Wrap them in butter paper and put them in freezer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, cut and bake