- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Balti Chicken Recipe.
Balti chicken is one of the main dish from Indian cusine. It gets its name balti chicken because it is served in a Balti ( small bucket). It is not only very tasty dish but it is easy to prepare and don’t take hours or extra ordinary skills to make.
The ingredients are easily available all over India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and other near by countries and I have been told now even the big stores in USA and Europe have them and they are also easily available on Amazon and EBay. It is big hit with kids and adults alike here. I am sure it would be same outside too.
1. Chicken: breasts or thighs. 900 grams/ 2 Oz
2. Ghee/ vegetable oil: 3 Tbsp
3. Kalongi seeds: ½ tsp
4. Tomatoes: 3
5. Onions Large: 2
6. Cardamom pods: 2
7. Cinnamon stick: 1
8. Black peppercorns : 6
9. Red Chili powder: 1 Tsp
10. Garam Masala: 1Tsp
11. Garlic paste: 1 Tsp
12. Ginger paste: 1 Tsp
13. Yogurt: 2 Tbsp
14. Cilantro / Coriander: 2 Tsp chopped
15. Extra Cilantro / Coriander to garnish
16. Green Chilies: 2 deseeded.
17. Lime Juice: 2 Tsp
18. Salt to taste.
19. Naan or Bread to Serve.
1. Take a heavy bottom skillet.
2. Heat ghee / vegetable oil.
3. Now slice the onion and cook over low heat for about 9 to 10 minutes.
4. Stir onions occasionally while they are cooked.
5. Cook till they are golden brown.
6. Now slice the tomatoes.
7. Add in the skillet with onions.
8. Now add to it Peppercorns, kalongi seeds, garam masala.
9. Cook it for about 30 seconds.
10. Now add cardamoms, cinnamon stick and red chili powder.
11. Stir it.
12. Now add Garlic paste, ginger paste and salt.
13. Now stirring constantly, cook for 5 minutes.
14. Now dice the chicken breasts or thighs.
15. Add to the mixture and cook for 5 minutes stirring constantly.
16. By now chicken should be well coated by the spice mixture in the skillet.
17. Now add 2 Tbsp of yogurt in it.
18. Cover it and let it simmer it for 10 to 12 minutes stirring occasionally.
19. Now add 2 Tsp of chopped cilantro and lime juice.
20. Chop the green chilies and add to this.
21. Transfer to a balti or warm serving dish.
22. Garnish it by sprinkling it with cilantro.
23. Serve with naan or roti or bread.
1. Make sure the skillet is heavy bottom or the masalas would stick to the pan.
2. The chicken pieces should not be very small or large.
3. If you are not comfortable with the amount of Green chilies you can put less or none.
What Do you think about Balti Chicken?
More Hubs By Me
- Mushroom Bhajji
My personal favourite in vegetables is mushroom. Mushrooms are not only easy to digest but are very healthy. Here I am going to put one easy recipe of mushroom. Mushroom is easy to get and it got nice colour and texture and makes a very appealing dis
- Chicken Do Piaza
Chicken Do Piaza goes back to Mughal era of India. How did this dish got his name no one knows but it is thought that Mulla Do Piaza ( a minister in court of Great emperor Akbar) invented it but this looks like a myth because Mulla Do piaza was not a
- Prawn and Pineapple Tikka
Prawn and Pineapple Tikka is one of very tasty dish. Pineapple gives this dish a definitely tangy taste while prawns are hot and spicy. This dish is not only healthy as it not only has prawns but also combine meat with fruit, but is also very yummy a
- Chicken Korma
Chicken Korma is a very tasty dish from South of India and since it is from South India so it is full of calories. If you are not watching your weight then you should try this dish. Very tasty and this dish is little dry in consistency as compared to
- Chicken And Noodle Soup
A very healthy soup, easy to make and is usually well liked by children. It doesn't have many spices so easy on palate and stomach. A very tasty appetizer.
- Chicken and tarragon soup
Another very healthy and tasty soup recipe. Children love this soup. Last time we had one of my nephew loved it and he is only 6.
- Chicken And Orange Salad
This is also known as Roast Chicken Salad with Orange Dressing. It is very easy to make. Takes only a few minutes to make and is very healthy. It has got right combination of meat, vegetables and fruits. It is very tasty and children would love to ea
- Shredded Chicken With Mushroom
This one is one of my favourite lunch and dinner dish. Chicken and mushrooms make my meal enjoyable as much as it can be. Adding mushroom to any dish not only make the bulk but also make it very tasty, healthy and pleasing to the eyes. I love it when
- Pan Fried Chicken with Cilantro
Easy to make chicken dish. Loved by children and adults alike. Can be used as snack or main dish. Not only it is very tasty but also very healthy with very less oil used.
- Chicken Wrap
This can be used as a snack or as a lunch. Children like it very much and its ingredients are very easily available and it is very easy to make. It is light on stomach, less on calories and high on taste and health. A must for any woman with young ch