- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Banana Caramel Cake
Banana Caramel Cake
If you are looking for a new cake to make that is fun and tasty, try this Banana Carmel Cake. It tastes so decadent, but is quite easy to make.
- 2 1/2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 5 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup caramel sauce
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars in another bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and bananas. Add flour mixture and buttermilk to banana mixture. Mix until combined.
- Add nuts or chocolate chips if desired at this point (1/2 cup of either).
- Pour batter into a greased pan about 2/3 up. This cake does expand a bit, so do not overfill your pan. Bake for 30-55 minutes, depending on the size of the pan and your oven.
- Mix cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Mix until incorporated. Add powdered sugar and mix until incorporated. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Remove cake from oven when done baking. Cool on wire rack.
- While cake is warm, poke holes all over the cake. Pour caramel sauce into those holes
- Let cake cool. Frost cake with cream cheese frosting.
- Store cake in refrigerator.
If you want to make this cake more fun, add chocolate chips or nuts to the batter before baking.
You can also use white or chocolate frosting instead of the cream cheese frosting. They all work.
If you do not like bananas, you can make this a carrot cake, chocolate, vanilla, or anything else you want. They all work.
Sometimes, I substitute whip cream instead of the frosting as well. It makes it a little lighter.
This mix also works as a muffin. Bake for about 15-25 minutes, depending on your muffin size and over. Make one or two holes in the top of the muffin while warm and then fill the holes with caramel and frost.
Feel free to substitute chocolate or other sauce for the caramel.