- Food and Cooking
Jamaican Banana Fritters Recipe
I really enjoy the recipes that have been passed on to me from my mom. This is one of them. I hope that you will enjoy it as much as I do.
This recipe is another way to use bananas that no one wants to eat because they have become brown and will continue to sit there until they get tossed.
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk/water depending on thickness of mix
- optional 1 dash (pinch) nutmeg (mums the word-secret ingredient) don’t overdue -very strong spice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil/olive oil, for frying
- Mixer/ hand blender/Potato masher if doing by hand
- Measuring cup/spoons
- Mash up bananas in a bowl until smooth.
- Add sugar, vanilla, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and continue to mix until smooth and easy to pour. It should not be runny.
- Add flour, milk/water and continue mixing.
- If content is stiff or too thick, add a small amount of water- less is best- mix again until smooth.
- turn burner under frying pan on med heat until hot. Add enough oil to fry several fritters.
- Use a large spoon to scoop some of the batter into the oil. The same principles for making pancakes apply but make small ones so that they will fry quickly.
- Brown each side until cooked. Keep heat at a level where they won’t burn easily.
- For that extra sweet tooth, sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top or honey or enjoy it just the way it is. Yum!!
© 2009 Chris Eddy111