- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
Banana Ginger Ale Muffins with Garbanzo Flour
Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner--Banana Ginger Ale Muffins are a Happy Surprise!
In continuing my recipe experiments using garbanzo flour, I've worked out this zingy banana muffin recipe.
If you've seen my garbanzo flour peach cobbler and the banana bread you have a good idea of how my experiments are going so far. I'm glad to say that I was not disappointed with my newest one!
Reading up on the ways garbanzo beans have been used in the past, especially in other countries, I'm thinking through ways I want to use them today. Having given up on soy beans and tofu products for the most part, I am liking garbanzo flour more and more.
So, what's different about this garbanzo flour banana muffin? The addition of ginger isn't so surprising, but ginger ale to replace the traditional milk might be a little unsettling. Good thing it's ginger ale!
You can read more about the benefits of garbanzos via the links to my other garbanzo flour recipes. Also called chick peas, garbanzo beans are packed with vegetable protein, as well as having a full history of other names, including Indian pea and Bengal gram.
Boasting ingredients that are gluten free as well as cow milk free, these muffins have no white sugar. They do, however, have lots of protein, and most of all, they have great flavor.
Yes, Banana Ginger Ale Muffins are good enough for breakfast, morning breaks, and after school snacks. Good as in tasty, and good as in healthy!
First, Some Tips for Making Banana Ginger Ale Muffins
• Eggs should be room temperature, so set them out of refrigerator about 20-30 minutes ahead of time. Also, consider using a healthy Egg Substitute.
• The quality of Ginger Ale is important. Off brands may use pepper to simulate the flavor of ginger. Check the label of any brand before you buy it. I use the 365 brand--no HFCS, with real ginger.
• Batter will be smoother than most muffin mixes, but do not over mix.
• Watch baking time carefully and try to barely under bake garbanzo flour recipes.
- 1 Cup Garbanzo Flour
- 1 Cup Oat Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Egg
- 4 Tablespoons Honey
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1 Large Banana
- 1 Cup Ginger Ale
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Pecans
- Sift the first 5 ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat the egg slightly, then mix in honey and coconut oil. If using the egg substitute, make that up then mix these two ingredient into it.
- Cut the banana up and blend into the wet ingredients with a potato masher.
- Slowly mix the ginger ale into the wet mixture.
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, pouring about 1/4 of it in at a time.
- Stir only until flour mixture is moistened. Do not make a smooth batter.
- Fill greased muffin pans or cups 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350º for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Makes 12 medium-sized muffins.
More Garbanzo Goodness
Were you surprised by this ginger ale muffin?
Food and Health Issues:
Garbanzo or Chick Peas, It's Panelle
More on Good for Us Foods
A look at a few foods that might surprise you:
• Two blueberry recipes -- a cobbler and muffins that are cow's milk free.
• Are almonds really good for us?
• What are the benefits of ginger?