Banana Kheer (Nendrapayam Payasam)
“Nendran” banana known popularly as Kerala Banana should be used for making this kheer. Nendran variety of plaintain is used for both dessert and culinary. “Payam” in Malayalam means fruit.
- 5 Nos Ripe nendran plaintain
- 375 gms Jaggery
- 75 gms Ghee
- 5 gms Cardamom, powdered
- 50 gms Cashew nuts, roasted in ghee or butter
- 11/2 glasses Coconut milk
- 2-3 glasses Water
Steam the plaintain, deseed it and mash it in a mixer. Melt the jaggery in ½ glass water. Add the mashed banana into this and heat. Gradually add ghee stirring while stirring. Add water and cook. When cooked (i.e. when the water content reduces to half), add the coconut milk and reduce the flame. Let the kheer turn to a thick consistency. Add roasted cashewnuts, cardamom powder and remove from heat. Allow to cool before serving.
- Lower the flame as soon as you add the coconut milk, else it will curdle.
- Remove the seeds of the plaintain (banana).