- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Banana & Walnut Loaf Cake Recipe
Banana & Walnut Loaf Cake
Did You Like This Recipe?
Healthy Banana & Walnut Loaf Cake Recipe
You know how sometimes you find a couple of ripe bananas, that may have gone a little past their best. What can you do with them. Few people would eat them.
Instead of throwing them away. How about a quick and easy Banana & Walnut Loaf cake. As fast dessert recipes go, this is about as simple as it gets, and you get to keep all the banana health benefits.
The following recipe is really easy to follow. It takes literally less than 5 minutes, to prepare the mixture.(see video below) Just one hour to cook. And of course seconds to devour.
Keep a careful eye on your loaf cake, as it can be ready a little earlier than one hour, depending on your cooker. Fan assisted ovens will be faster. We made this cake, just to show how easy it is.
If you have 5 minutes. You too can create this amazing cake.
Turn what would have been wasted, into something spectacular and truly satisfying. The good thing is, you actually need over ripened bananas for this recipe to work. It's a win win.
Those of you with a nut allergy. Leave out the nuts.
- 2 large or 4 small Ripe Bananas, mashed and beaten into the mix
- 6 oz.1 cup Walnuts, chopped
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- 5 oz. 5/8 cup Granulated Raw Cane Sugar, add to mix
- 2 oz.1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon Vegetable Fat, to mix in and grease baking tin
- 8 oz. Self Raising Flour, sift into mix
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder, sift into mix
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt, sift into mix
- 1/4 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda, sift into mix
Estimated Nutritional Values
|Serving size: 10-12 Slices Per Loaf|
|Calories from Fat||180|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 20 g||31%|
|Saturated fat 8 g||40%|
|Unsaturated fat 12 g|
|Carbohydrates 53 g||18%|
|Sugar 30 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 30 mg||10%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Nonstick Loaf Pan
- Using a medium sized mixing bowl, beat the sugar,vegetable fat and eggs together with a wooden of plastic spoon. Beat until the mixture is light. Break up and mash in the bananas. Until the mixture is fairly smooth.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and bicarboanate of soda into the mixture until it is mixed thouroughly. Blitz the walnuts in a blender for a few seconds until the pieces are half the size of a small pea. Or to your preference. Add the walnuts to the mixture and stir in.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 inch loaf tin and bake for 1 hour, or until the loaf is done. Test the loaf by inserting a dry skewer in the centre of the loaf. If it comes out clean, the loaf is cooked and ready. Turn the loaf out of the tin and allow it to cool before slicing. Place on a baking rack.
- Slice and eat plain or spread with butter or other interesting toppings. It tastes great on it's own.
Preparation Photo'sClick thumbnail to view full-size
Banana & Walnut Loaf Cake Video Walk-through
Cost effective cooking
The video has no dialogue track as all we could hear was a lot of clinking and clanking of mixing bowls and food processors. So we added a seasonal festive track. Considering dear reader that you are often bombarded with unwanted noise. I thought this would make a nice change.
Cost Effective Cooking
It was a lot of fun putting this together and I hope you take this opportunity to try baking it yourself..
Of the many and varied banana & walnut cakes that have passed my way. This is by far the best. Maybe because we made it ourselves.
There is a certain satisfaction in making something from nothing. Plus it is a great way of saving on otherwise waste bananas.
Total costs of producing this loaf is approximately £1.00 ($1.60c). 10-12 slices per cake. How much is the cost of just one slice of Banana & Walnut loaf cake, at your local coffee shop?
Give it a try.