Bananas Foster Bread Pudding with Spiced Rum Sauce
Rate this Recipe
This dessert is a combination of a sweet comfort food and a decadent treat. Adding warm spiced rum sauce and vanilla ice cream just puts it over the top! A little time-consuming, but very easy to make. It's definitely worth the wait!
*If you don't have any spiced rum, simply substitute imitation rum extract as I did.
(This recipe was adapted from Delish.com)
Ingredients for Pudding
- 9 oz store-bought or half of homemade angel food cake, cut into 1-in. cubes
- 2 1/4 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup spiced rum, *(or 1.5 to 2 tbsp. imitation rum extract)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 firm, ripe bananas, sliced 1/2 in. thick
- vanilla ice cream
So Easy and Delicious!
Ingredients for Sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp spiced rum (*or 1 tsp. imitation rum extract)
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 350º. Spread out angel food cake cubes on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes until dry and lightly toasted, tossing every 5-7 minutes. Remove and turn off oven.
- Whisk milk, eggs, "rum", sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved. Gently mix cake, banana slices, and liquid mixture in a 8 x 8 baking dish. Cover with foil and let sit for 30 minutes until most of milk is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce by stirring brown sugar and butter in a saucepan over medium heat until melted. Add cream, rum, and cinnamon and bring to simmer. Simmer sauce until it thickens and reduces. (About 5 minutes) Serve warm. *Can be prepared in advance and refrigerated for 2 days. Simmer before serving.
- Heat oven to 350º. Bake mixture covered for 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue to back for 25 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes. Serve warm with sauce and scoops of vanilla ice cream.
|Serving size: 8|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 53 g||18%|
|Protein 8 g||16%|
|Cholesterol 86 mg||29%|
|Sodium 129 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|