- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
How to Barbecue Wagyu Beef
The Most Tender Barbecued Beef Ever
I'm in search of the most tender and delicious barbecued beef and I may have just discovered the recipe. Based on Alain Passard's style of roasting meet, I applied a similar technique to a top sirloin cut of Wagyu beef. Wagyu beef or more commonly known as American Kobe beef is highly marbled and very expensive. Is it worth the money? If prepared correctly, it is the most delicious beef I've ever cooked. I find it nearly as tender as grilled beef tenderloin steaks, and more flavorful than bbq flank steak. But I still think a low and slow cooked beef brisket is the best value for taste and money.
Wagyu vs Kobe Beef
- Both Wagyu beef and Kobe beef come from a breed of cattle called Wagyu
- Kobe beef comes from Kobe Japan only
- Wagyu beef designation has nothing to do with how the cow was raised and fed
- Wagyu and Kobe beef is grain fed and given beer
- Wagyu raised in the US is unlikely to be massaged like in Japan because there is more room for exercise. People report that they can't tell the difference between American Kobe and Japan Kobe if they are the same grade of meat - sometimes called "super prime"
Barbecue Wagyu Beef Recipe
- Season to taste with salt
- Brown both sides lightly in a frying pan on the stove
Grill or bake in the oven ten minutes at a time at 350 degrees. Let rest outside of the oven for ten minutes. Repeat this process until the desired internal temperature is reached. My recommendation for medium rare wagyu beef is to stop barbecuing it at 120 degrees.
Pictures of the Wagyu Beef RecipeClick thumbnail to view full-size
Alain Passard Cooking Technique
The Alain Passard roasting technique is pretty simple. The idea is to cook the meat evenly all the way through to the desired temperature. Heat the oven to 350 degrees and roast your meat for ten minutes, then remove the meat and let it rest in the pan for ten minutes. Keep a meat thermometer in the beef the entire time it's cooking and resting. While it's resting, you'll notice the temperature continues to go up, so even while it's out of the oven it's still cooking. Repeat this process until your meat reaches the desired temperature.
BBQ Wagyu Beef
Barbecue Wagyu Beef Recipe Grilled with Alain Passard Technique
Wagyu beef is so tender and delicous, the recipe is very simple
- One Wagyu beef top sirloin with the fat cap. The triangle piece that comes from the top sirloin is known to be tougher than the bottom which is where a Butcher's Chateaubriand comes from, but the fat is key to this preparation.
- Salt the meat with course salt.
Heat a skillet and brown the meat on both sides. Then insert the meat thermometer into the center of the top sirloin and place it in a 350 degree barbecue. After ten minutes of cooking, pull the meat out and let it rest for ten minutes. Repeat the barbecuing process of ten minutes in the grill and ten minutes out until the meat reaches the desired temperature. For medium rare, which is my favorite, I stop putting the meat back on the barbecue once it's reached 120 degrees. After it does reach 120, I'll let it rest for another ten minutes and then slice it.
*Note many people that cook Wagyu beef at home treat it like a normal steak and are sorely disappointed with the results. If it's your first time, follow these instructions and you'll get a sense for how quickly it cooks and how it should taste with the delicious fat.
What beef is better
Where do you get Wagyu Beef
To find a cut of top sirloin with a fat cap in Wagyu beef I had to go to a specialty meat supply store in San Francisco. Many butchers can order it for you. In the bay area, it can be ordered from the San Francisco meat company. Wagyu beef is expensive. The top sirloin with a large layer of fat was between $35 and $40 a pound. While it was absolutely delicious, I'm only going to cook this on very special occasions.
Chart comparing types of top sirloin
Cut of Beef
Grass fed top sirloin
Tough and chewy
Serve grass fed beef more rare than grain fed
Grain or Corn fed top sirloin
Wagyu Beef top sirloin
More tender than corn fed beef tenderloin