- Food and Cooking
Barbecue recipes for spring
Barbecue is the hot new old food
To barbecue means to slow-cook meat at a low temperature for a long time over wood or charcoal. In America, barbecue originated in the late 1800's during Western cattle drives. Barbecue was not invented in America and no one knows who invented the barbecue. The word 'Barbecue' might come from the Taino Indian word 'barbacoa' meaning meat-smoking apparatus. 'Barbecue' could have also originated from the French word "Barbe a queue" which means "whiskers-to-tail." No one is sure of the correct origins of the word.
For us, it doesn't matter what the origin of barbecue, what we care about now is enjoying barbecue outdoor in amazing spring weather.
I was inspired by a question asked by Ludivine "a hubber" about the best barbecue recipe. Here I'll tell you the secrets of having tender, tasty grilled food.
Lebanese Shish Tawok
500g "16oz" boneless chicken cut into 1" pieces 1 cup onion cut into large pieces "wings" 1 tsp minced garlic 1 grated onion 1 tsp pepper, 1 tsp pepper 1 cup yogurt 1 tsp spice powder 1 tsp ground roasted cumin 2 tbsp ketchup 2 tsp lemon juice 1/2 tsp red chilli powder 1 tsp dried thyme Wooden grill skewer
1- Mix all spices and liquids together in a bowl. 2- Add chicken pieces, onion wings and grated onion. Keep aside covered in fridge for at least 2 hours 3- Fix chicken pieces, onion wings, tomatoes and green pepper pieces in wood grill skewer 4- Cook on charcoal for about 30 minutes 5- As you're grilling brush chicken pieces by marinate left in the bowl. 6- Turn and marinate untill it's cooked having bright brown colour.
Egyptian Kebab "Kefta, small meat pieces"
500g "16oz" ground lamb meat
100g grit "prevents kefta from falling off the grill skewers"
500g lamb ribs "Cut into medium size pieces, 3-4 rips per piece"
500g lamb meat cut into small pieces "about 1 inch thick"
1 cup grated onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup skinless mashed tomato
1 minced hot green pepper
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 cup yogurt
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt, ground black pepper, mixed spices and ground nutmeg
- Mix meat pieces and ribs with white vinegar and refrigerate for 5 hours "to make it tender"
- Mix meat pieces and ribs with 1tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp spices, 2 tbsp mashed tomato and minced hot green pepper and refrigerate for more 2 hours
- Mix ground lamb meat with grit, 1tbsp tomato, 1 tbsp onion, 1/8 tsp black pepper, 1/8 tsp mixed spices, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp nutmeg and refrigerate for 2 hours
- Fix meat pieces in wooden skewers
- Press kefta "ground meat" on skewers
- Mix lemon juice with lef marinating ingredients and 1 tbsp olive oil
- Cook on charcool for around 30 minutes
- Brush kefta and meat with marinating liquid and turn on all sides untill it's cooked.
All kinds of vegetables can be grilled. Just clean, peel and cut if large. Don't cut to very thin pieces.
- Carrots with all it's colours is really delicious when grilled, you can salt it or not, it has sweet natural taste you'll like it.
- Select small potatoes and cut into halves and season with salt, herbs and pepper.
- Green onions can be cleaned and grilled without any cover. White or red large onions can be wrapped with Aluminium foil after peeling and grilled as you're grilling kebab.
- Egg plant Should be sliced first and grilled till it becomes tender then you can fold it and stuff with cheese and tomato slices, you can put a thin slice of onion too and grill until cheese melts.
- Sweet corn can be grilled without peeling or peeled. If not peeled you can put it directly on charcoal or fire. If it's peeled, just grill it on a rack over hot charcoal.