- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Middle Eastern Cuisine
Barbunya Pilaki (Turkish) Recipe
Barbunya Pilaki is an inexpensive, hearty Turkish vegan bean dish that is traditionally served cold with a garnish of lemon wedges and chopped coriander leaves. Although this dish isn't much to look at (especially if the dual-purpose decorative and taste-enhancing garnishes are omitted), it's very tasty.
- 2 tablespoons rice bran or favorite oil
- 1 large carrot, diced or sliced as preferred
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups drained pinto beans, from can or cooked from dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges & freshly diced coriander leaves, optional garnish
- Add oil to a large sauce pan and bring to a sizzling temperature.
- Saute the garlic and diced vegetables until lightly browned.
- Reduce temperature, add crushed tomatoes, cooked pinto beans, salt and pepper and allow to heat through for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot or chilled with fresh lemon wedges and diced coriander as a garnish, serve alongside Turkish flatbread or on a bed of rice to absorb any extra liquids.