- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques»
Barley Bread For Machines
Delicious Barley Bread
Why Barley Bread?
Barley is a heavy grain flour with less gluten than wheat and with its own distinctive flavor. It is hard to get it to rise as a yeast bread, but after some experimentation I found a way to utilize this wonderful flour in a standard sandwich loaf that can be easily made in a Bread Machine.
I use a Zojirushi BB-PAC 20 Virtuoso and this recipe makes a standard 2lb loaf which works in that machine or any with a similar capacity.
Since Barley is so low in gluten it is necessary to combine it with either All Purpose Flour or White Bread Flour to get it to rise. I have also added in some Vital Wheat Gluten.
Cook Time For Barley Bread
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 3 hours 20 min
- Ready in: 3 hours 30 min
- Yields: 2lb Family Loaf (Approx 16 slices)
Ingredients In Barley Bread
- 1 Cup Barley Flour, Spooned into Cup
- 3 Cups Bread Flour, Spooned into Cup
- 3 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tbs Unpasteurized Liquid Honey
- 1.25 Tsp Kosher or Sea Salt
- 1.5 Cups Almond Milk, May use real Milk or Powdered if preferred
- 1.25 Tsp Bread Machine Yeast, I use Fleischmanns
- 1 Tbs Vital Wheat Gluten, I use Bob's Red Mill
The Bread Machine I Actually Use
Some Bread makers may not yet have bought their machine this is the one I use and highly recommend. To clean it just empty out the loaf once baked add a couple of drops of dish soap, then add warm water and let it stand for 15 to 20 minutes. Empty the water out remove the paddles (gently wiggle them back and forth until they self release) and rinse out any softened bread that was caught in the paddles. Dry with soft paper towel and replace in machine for next use.
This machine is consistently the best seller on Amazon or close to it and definitely is worth the extra in price. If you are not sure read all of the reviews on all of the other machines first! I know you will return and not be disappointed.
The Zojirushi BB-PAC20 Virtuoso
How To Make The Barley Bread
- Add Milk to the bread pan first.
- Add the Olive Oil to the pan.
- Add the Liquid Honey. Tip:- Use the same measuring spoon you used for the oil the Honey will slip right off! You can also warm the Honey for 15 secs in a micro Wave to make it easier to pour.
- Carefully add the White Flour. Level each Cup with a knife and spoon the flour into the cup so that it does not compact too much. You want a mound in the center of the pan.
- Make an indent in the top of the White Flour and carefully measure the salt level each measuring spoon with your knife, before adding.
- Measure and add the Barley Flour over the salt and White Flour. Level with a knife as before.
- Make an indent in the Barley Flour then measure and add the Bread Machine Yeast.
- Put the bread pan back into the machine, ensuring the yeast does not get wet yet.
- Set the machine to Wheat Bread course or program.
- Turn Machine On and wait until ready. Tip:- Check at the kneading cycle that the dough is central after the punch down. Many machines will leave it at one end or the other as the dough may stick to one of the blades. Some people may also want to take the blades out before the baking phase.
- Wait until done then tip out carefully onto a cooling rack as in my picture above.
- Cool slice butter and enjoy!
|Serving size: 1 slice|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 26 g||9%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 88 mg||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Additional Nutritional Data
What Do Those That Tried Barley Bread Think?
If You Enjoyed This Bread Here Are The Best Recipe Books For Bread
The American and Canadian Flours are different and probably this applies to other countries too as a consequence you should always use a bread recipe for your native country. I am including Amazon links to the best books for Us and Canadian citizens here.