- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Basic Baked Granola
A Value Snack that is Worth the Effort!
This recipe I originally spotted in the Forks over Knives cook book. Excited about how easy and healthy this recipe sounded I tried it within days. To my dismay using the blender to puree the original fruit mixture of only dates turned into a flop of an experience. Thick and gooey it refused to process in the blender. You really need a food processor to create this mixture into a smooth dance around the processing blade.
I experimented with the recipe adding the segments of two oranges instead of just the zest of oranges. Still not satisfied and with more experimentation I decided to add apricots into the date mixture with the preparation of the next batch. End result, yummy!!!
Experience the goodness of this mixture for breakfast, a snack by the handful, or as a topping on ice cream or a fruit pie. Try adding nuts, bits of fruit or chocolate to the basic mixture to tickle your taste buds further into wanting more and more!!!
Delicious to the Last Bite!
- 16 cups Rolled Oats
- 1 7oz package Dried Apricots, Whole
- 2 8oz packages Dates, Whoe
- Zest of two large oranges
- 2 Large Oranges. Segmented and pitted, I remove some of the membranes
- 2 tsp. Sea Salt, Soothes any bitterness from the dates or cinnamon
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- In a medium sauce pan add 6 cups of water and the packages of dates, and package of apricots. Cover, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer for 12 minutes, and drain fruit.
- Measure 16 cups of rolled oats into a large bowl and set aside.
- Line 3 jelly roll pans with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees
- In my food processor I add the drained fruit, orange segments and zest, vanilla, cinnamon, and sea salt. Pulse until mixture is of a smooth consistency
- Mix the fruit mixture into the rolled oats. I fold and stir the mixture in the bowl until all the oats are well coated.
- Divide the mixture equally on to the 3 jelly roll pans.
- Bake 40-50 minutes stirring the mixture every ten minutes.
- Removed pans from oven and cool completely.
- Store the granola mixture in air tight container for up to 1 month.