- Food and Cooking
Basic Corn and Black Bean Salsa
A quick salad that goes well with grilled chicken, steaks, or any summer time picnic food. It is a popular dish to bring for that summer time party or picnic. If you want to be more extravagant bring tortilla chips too, both blue and gold along with a generous serving of homemade guacamole dip. Maybe even some Tequila!
A tip on ingredients, always buy the highest quality, name brand ingredients that you can. This means you will probably have to shop for them yourself. That goes for any recipe you prepare. I failed to follow this advice for the preparation shown in the photos, but it works.
- 2 cans whole kernel corn
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup lime juice
- 1 T hot sauce
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 T Lawrys Season Salt
- 1 T coarse ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 t ground Cumin
- 1 t Cayenne pepper
- Thoroughly rinse all the vegetables and be sure to remove the stickers from the peppers. Drain corn and place in a large non-metal bowl.
- Drain and rinse the beans until the rinse water runs nearly clear.
- Remove all the seeds and inner white sections then chop the red pepper in ¼” pieces.
- Remove the wilted tops, roots and slimy outer skin from green onions and chop in to small pieces.
- Remove most of the stems from the Cilantro and chop the leaves into fine pieces.
- Slice the Jalapeno thin wheel like slices and set aside to use as garnish for the top of the salad. Some people don’t like the heat and these are easy to pick out.
- Mix the liquids and spices in a small bowl.
- Combine the Corn, beans, red pepper and onions then pour the liquid mixture into it.
- Thoroughly mix it all together then flatten and top with the Jalapeno wheels.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours to marinate.
This is a basic salad using inexpensive ingredients. For a deluxe salad substitute frozen or even roasted corn stripped from grilled corn on the cob. A brown caramelized kernel is nice. Use 2 cloves of crushed garlic instead of powder. Use fresh squeezed Lime juice or substitute Orange juice. Use dried black beans that you soak and cook. Substitute lighter rice wine vinegar for balsamic. Substitute sweet red onion for green onions. Add an orange colored pepper for more color. The quantities can all be adjusted to your individual taste.