- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Beef Recipes
Easy English Cottage Pie Recipe
Basic English Cottage Pie Recipe
Home made Cottage Pie Recipe
I like cooking simple and easy recipes and this is one good recipe, I am going to share, is really easy to prepare and cook. And when you cook too much of it you can freeze some for future use for up to three months. In the cottage pie recipe, the meat used is minced beef while shepherd's pie, we use the minced lamb meat . Sometimes, I get confused with the two recipes but I now know that shepherd's pie is made of lamb's minced meat while cottage pie is made of minced beef.
There are so many ways of cooking this dish but I cooked it the way I know best. This is one basic English dish that I learnt to cook here in England. I like eating this dish and so with the shepherd's pie as well.
Photos of cottage pie(how I did it)
Cook Time for Cottage Pie
Ingredients for Cottage Pie
- 500 grams Beef Mince, lean organic
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 onions, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil, pure virgin
- 1 cube beef stock
- 4 tbsp milk or beaten egg, to glaze
- 1 tbsp butter(optional)
- 4 or 5 medium potatoes, cut into four pieces
- 1 cup cheese(optional), grated
How to Cook Cottage Pie
- First peel the potatoes and boil them until cooked for the mash.
- Slice or cut up onions and garlic and set aside.
- Peel and grate the carrots (I used a peeler to grate the carrots)
- Heat the olive oil in a wok or frying pan, when hot add the garlic and onions
- When onions and garlic are soft, add the carrots and stir for two minutes.
- Add the mince beef, beef stock cube (crumbled), salt and black pepper stir all the ingredients until the beef is slightly brown and set aside.
- Now we mash the potatoes with butter, milk, and a dash of salt and pepper.
- In an oven proof dish, put the half- cooked minced beef, flatten it then add the mashed potato and level the top. You can either brush the top with milk or beaten egg or top it with grated cheese. I used milk and level the mashed potatoes with a fork.
- Put it in the oven to cook for 25 to 30 minutes until brownish color on top.
- Serve it hot when cooked.
Some useful tips on cottage pie
With this recipe, you can put grated cheese on top of the mashed potatoes 5 minutes, brown it, before taking it out the oven to serve. This is optional. Also if you are trying to lose weight or cut fat, you can omit the butter and the cheese. It is also nice to add some laurel leaves on the minced beef to give it a nicer aroma. Try not to overcook the mince meat as it will turn out like rubber.
Cook separate green vegetables if you like to accompany this meal like beans, broccoli, cabbage, green peas or any vegetable that you like really.
Do you like cooking and eating Cottage Pie?
© 2013 Linda Bryen