Helpful Hints for Casseroles and Entrees
- Make two casseroles at one time. The second one goes in the freezer to be pulled out when you need a quick meal to serve unexpected guests.
- Make individual casseroles in muffin tins. The smaller portions will freeze easier.
- If you plan to freeze foods, never overcook them. They will finish cooking while being reheated.
- Be sure to label frozen foods with name of food and date so that they are used within one or two months.
- By sprinkling a little salt or flour in a pan you can prevent hot oil from spattering.
- You can keep cooked rice separated with a few drops of lemon juice.
- Frozen foods with clove, garlic and green pepper get stronger while being frozen; while foods with sage, onion and salt get milder.
- Cooked egg white will get tough if frozen.
- By spraying your grill with oil, it will prevent sticking.
- To thicken a stew, you can add some instant potatoes.
- Drape lasagna noodles over the side of the pot to keep them separated.
For use in making my casseroles