- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Helpful Hints for Vegetables
Garnish Buttered Vegetables
Sauce Over Vegetable
- The addition of sesame seeds, toasted chopped nuts, canned french fried onions or crushed seasoned croutons sprinkled over the vegetables will dress up butter vegetables
- Fresh lemon juice will remove onion scent from hands
- Cutting onions under cold water will reduce tendency for tears
- Add a little vinegar and lemon juice to potatoes before draining so that they are extra white when mashed
- Save leftover vegetables and the juice in a freezer container. When full add to tomato juice and seasoning to make a quick soup.
- If a fresh vegetable is a little older, prepare it with a sauce.
- Beans are easier to digest if chopped celery is added to about 2 cups of beans.
- If a vegetable grows above ground the rule is to boil them without a cover
- To retain coloring add a lump of sugar to the pot while cooking
- To retain flavor, do not rinse vegetables after they are cooked
- By boiling potatoes 10 to 15 minutes and then pricking with a fork you reduce the time it takes to bake potatoes
- By adding a little vinegar to the water you cut down the odor from cooking cabbage and cauliflower
- To make beans or corn more tender add salt halfway through cooking
- To make a one dish meal try grilling or crock potting vegetables with your meat