- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Bear N Mom Recipes - Irish Potatoes
When my husband and I were younger, we would go to dances at the Elks Lodge on Saturday night. We always sat at the bar with friends. The bar was an oblong bar with the bartender in the middle. Our seats were at the head of the bar along with 5 other couples who would cheerily buy drinks for each other for the evening while we listened to the band play and some of us danced.
St. Patrick's Day was no different but it was always a special occasion and we would treat each other to other specialties that we brought from home. One of those was the ever popular Irish Potatoes. These looked like potatoes and made you wonder the first time you saw them if you really wanted to eat one. Once you tasted the sweet confection, you were addicted. Each year we had to bring more and more of these candy treats.
- 1/4 cup Butter, softened
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2-1/2 cups Flaked Coconut
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Ground Cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth.
- Using your hands if necessary, mix in the coconut. Roll into balls or potato shapes, and roll in the cinnamon.
- Place onto a cookie sheet and chill to set. If desired, roll potatoes in cinnamon again for darker color.
When we started making these, we were very pleased with the results and continued to make the Irish Potato Candy for our St. Patrick Day celebrations.
Another recipe that I received later from a friend was a candy that is actually made from a boiled potato. It is the candy that you see surrounding the Irish Potatoes on the serving platter. This is also made with powdered sugar but has a peanut butter filling. Both are great candies to serve for St. Patrick's Day.