- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Beef Recipes
In our house ground meat was a mainstay. My mother knew so many recipes that started with ground beef. This one is a favorite of mine. As a child I was not fond of gravy and mushrooms. Now that my flavor buds have been awakened, I add the gravy onto my salisbury steak and onto the mashed potatoes that I love to serve with it.
- 1 pkg dry onion soup
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 lb. ground beef, 75% fat is best tasting
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- In a pan combine the contents of the jar of beef gravy, dry onion soup packet, applesauce cup and the can of cream of mushroom soup. Cook over medium heat until throughly mixed and then set. stirring occasionally with a whisk aside.
- Saute the mushrooms in the olive oil and then set aside.
- Combine the ground beef, celery and onions and mix well. Prepare the salisbury steak by dividing the meat mixture into four servings and placing them in a 9x13 pan with a small amount of water to prevent sticking. Cover the pan with aluminum foil. Place the pan in a 350 deg. oven and bake for approximately 1 hour or until the meat patties are browned and cooked through.
- Remove the 4 salisbury steaks to a square cooking casserole and pour the prepared gravy and mushrooms over the patties.
- Cover with aluminum foil and place back into a warm oven for a half hour to heat the gravy over the steaks.