- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Stew Recipes
Beef Chili Recipe
Beef & Red Bean Chili
My new favorite chili actually comes from an iPhone recipe. I've adjusted it a bit to get the spice heat right, and I'm pleased to say that I has yet to get a bad review. And believe me, my friends are more than willing to criticize my cooking. Here's the recipe:
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a very large frying pan on medium. Once the oil is shimmering add the following:
2 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped bell pepper
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
4 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
The suggestion is to add all of the spices with the garlic, onion, and bell pepper so that the are able to really absorb the flavors.
2. Cook the mixture for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and the onions become clear.
3. Turn the head to medium high and add 1 pound of ground beef and a pinch of salt. Ideally 85% lead, or maybe even 80% lean. Better to err on the side of less lean rather than more lean since the less lean beef seems to have more flavor. Once that beef has been browned (no longer pink in the middle) add another pound of ground beef and a pinch of salt. Mix it all together with the vegetables until none of the beef is pink.
4. Transfer the beef, vegetable, & spice mixture into the Crock-Pot slow cooker.
5. Add two 15oz cans of dark red kidney beans (rinsed), one 28oz can of diced tomatoes (with juice) and one 28oz can of tomato puree.
6. Mix it all together, set the crock pot to high, and come back in 4 hours to a fantastic smelling kitchen! (if you can, I'd suggest stirring it every hour or so, but even if you can only stir it once, that's ok.