- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Beef Wellington Recipe
- 1 KG Beef, Fillet
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 250g chestnut mushroom
- 50g butter
- 1 large sprig fresh thyme
- 100ml/ 3½ fl oz dry white wine
- 12 prosciutto, slices
- 500g pack puff pastry
- A little Flour, for dusting
- 2 egg yolks beaten with 1 tbsp water
Easy as 1,2,3
The recipe for beef wellington is pretty easy to make. It is not a very complicated dish so you don't need any assistance from an expert cook or someone like that. It only takes a few minutes to get the ingredients and then follow the steps below, and you should have a delicious dish in less than 3 hours. Beef Wellington has been one of the most cooked dishes in England. It is also one of the most loved dishes in England. It is not only popular in U.K, it has now being cooked in other parts of the world too.
|Calories from Fat||432|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 48 g||74%|
|Saturated fat 20 g||100%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 50 g||100%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- To make Beef Wellington, temperature of your oven is definitely something you would want to pay attention to. If it is not set to the ideal temperature, you might burn your Beef Wellington which is not good. To start things of, switch on your oven and heat it to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Put 1 kg of beef fillet on a roasting tray. Brush the beat a little bit with 1 tbsp olive oil, use pepper for seasoning. Roast the beef for 15 to 20 minutes according to your taste. When you feel that the meat is cooked according to your liking, remove it from the oven and place it in a refrigerator for about 20 minutes to cool it down.
- As the beef is cooling down, chop 250 grams of chestnut mushrooms as finely as you possibly can. You can also use something like a food processor, but any mistake will cause them to become slurry, so it is recommended to chop the chestnut mushrooms by hand.
- After you have chestnut mushrooms chopped, now heat 2 tbsp of olive oil and also add 50 grams of butter in a large pan and fry the mushrooms you chopped in step 2 on medium heat and also place 1 large sprig fresh thyme. To soften the mixture, stir it constantly for about 10 minutes. To season the mixture, pour almost 100ml dry white wine and cook it for 10 minutes on normal heat until the wine is absorbed. Do not over cook it or the mixture might get burnt. If you did everything right, the mixture should hold it's shape even when stirred. Now take out the mixture from the pan to cool it.
- Cover a chopping board with 2 pieces of cling film. Lay 12 prosciutto on it in a double row. Put half of the duxelles on the prosciutto then place the cooled fillet on it. Once the fillet is placed on it, spread the res of the duxelles on it. Now use something to clean the extra duxelles and make your fillet look beautiful too. Now chill the fillet as you roll out the pastry.
- Dust the place where you are working with a little flour. Roll out about 166 grams out of the 500g of the puff pastry to a suitable strip and then place it on a baking sheet (make sure the baking sheet is non-stick). Now roll out the other 322 grams of puff pastry into a bigger strip. Now take out the fillet which is in the cling film and put it in the center of the strip which has 166.6 puff pastry in it. Grab 2 egg yolks and beat them with 1 tsp of water and use this to brush the edges and the top sides of the wrapped fillet. Now drape the larger piece of pastry over the fillet, and make sure you press it well into the sides. Trim the extra edges and then seal them with the edge of something like a fork or spoon handle. Use more egg yolk and glaze it all over. Using the back of a knife, mark the dish with quite long diagonal lines but make sure you don't do any damage/cut into the pastry. Now chill it for a few hours (if urgent, chill for at least 30 minutes)
- Turn on your oven again and heat it to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Now brush the wellington once again with a little more egg yolk and cook it in the oven until it is golden and crisp. Allow stand for about 10 minutes before you can enjoy this dish. Now slice the wellington and serve it as you like.