- Food and Cooking
Mushroom Gravy Recipe
You are going to love this Mushroom Gravy recipe so much, you may even lick your plate at the end of the meal! This creamy gravy combines the richness of beef with the earthiness of butter-sauteed mushrooms. Perfect for ladling over your favorite pot roast or meatloaf.
- 8 ounces White Button or Cremini Mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 Cup Butter, divided
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Tbsp Beef Base
- 2 Tbsp Red Wine, Cabernet Sauvignon is preferable
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Onion Powder
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a saute pan. Add your sliced mushrooms to the butter, and saute over medium heat until all liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms begin to brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small pot, place 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp flour. When the butter has melted over low heat, whisk together with the flour to form a roux. Allow your roux to cook for one minute.
- To the roux, add the beef base, red wine, black pepper, and onion powder. Incorporate these ingredients into the roux with a whisk. It will be a tight roux, so it may form into a ball and will not be liquid at this point. This is perfectly normal, don't panic.
- Mix your milk and water together in a bowl, and begin to slowly add it into the roux, all the while whisking. You should add your liquid mixture in 3 - 4 stages, not adding more liquid to the pot until the previous liquid has been fully incorporated with the roux.
- Once you have a smooth gravy, allow it to simmer over low heat for three minutes, stirring often. Finally, add your sauteed mushrooms into the gravy and stir. Your gravy is now ready to serve. Enjoy!
All Liquid Incorporated into the Gravy:
Mushroom Gravy, Ready to Serve:
Mushroom gravy is very versatile, and tastes great with a variety of dishes. This particular recipe can be changed as follows:
- Mushroom Onion Gravy: Thinly slice or dice 1/2 of a medium-sized onion, and sauté the onion with the mushrooms. Add the sauteed onions and mushrooms into the gravy as indicated in step #5 above.
- Chicken-Flavored Mushroom Gravy: Simply substitute chicken base for the beef base, and white wine (Pinot Grigio preferably) for the red wine in the above recipe. You'll have a wonderful gravy for serving over your favorite chicken recipe.
- Vegetarian Gravy: Substitute vegetable or canola oil for the butter, use vegetable base instead of beef base, and use 1 1/4 cups water total and no milk. Since the butter is being omitted, you may need to adjust the salt level up, according to your tastes. Vegetarian gravy goes well over grilled tofu, sauteed vegetables, or mashed potatoes made with vegetable stock.
This gravy is perfect over:
- Best Meatloaf
The most delicious meatloaf recipe you will ever try! This makes for a perfect Sunday dinner with the family. Everyone will enjoy this delectable, moist, flavorful main dish.
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Potatoes are cooked in broth, then put through a food mill and combined with rich butter, warm milk, and tangy Gorgonzola blue cheese. These potatoes are perfectly creamy, with just the right tang.