- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Show your love on Valentine’s Day by making these quick and easy beet salads. Start off your meal with a plate of creamy yogurt and beet salad or beet salad drizzled with olive oil and fresh Meyer lemon juice. Beets contain a lot of fibers, half are soluble fibers and the other half are unsoluble fibers and these fibers play important roles in fighting fat. These colorful root vegetables are rich in folic acid, calcium and iron and in addition help protect against heart disease, birth defects and certain cancers especially color cancer.
- 1 pound beets (about 4 large), or 2 canned sweet beets
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh Myer lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried mint (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups plain yogurt
- If using fresh beets, cut the leaves well above the bulb so that they don’t bleed in water. Place the beets in a pan; fill with water covering the top of the beets. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cook for 1 hour or until the beets are fork tender. Let cool.
- Beet Salad -- Using gloves peel the beets. Trim away the roots, cut into slices. Arrange the sliced beets on a serving platter. Drizzle with olive oil and fresh lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with dried mint
- Beet and Yogurt Salad -- Using gloves peel the beets.Trim away the roots, dice into small pieces. Place yogurt, diced beets, salt, pepper and dried mint in a bowl. Mix to combine the ingredients. Place in a serving bowl, garnish with diced beets.
- Tip for cleaning beet stains from your skin. Cut a potato in half. Run the tap water. While holding your hand under running water, rub the stains with the cut side of the potato until they come off.