Best Banana Muffin Recipe
Grandmas Banana Muffins
The problem with many homemade muffins today is they, more often than not, resemble hockey pucks as opposed to the edible item they were meant to be! This is when we have to reach back into the recipe archives, and bring out Grandma's famous fool-proof muffin recipe.
A muffin should rise above the lip of the muffin cup, and be moist and actually have identifiable flavor, not just a floury base. This recipe fits the bill. It has great banana flavor, stays moist, and actually rises like a muffin was meant to!
The best bananas for this recipe come from the freezer. When you have some bananas that are too ripe to eat, just throw them in the freezer. Take them out about an hour before making this recipe, and just cut the stem off, and squeeze them into a bowl. Instant mashed bananas! And full of natural sweetness.
Use this recipe as a base. 1 cup of frozen blueberries, nuts such as walnuts, or chocolate chips can be added to the dry ingredients for a variation. A banana chip can be placed on top of the muffin before baking for a great garnish.
As with most muffins, they should be stored in an airtight container or bag once cooled, and freeze beautifully. But I promise you, they won't last that long! Enjoy!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 bananas, mushed
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl beat the eggs, add oil, sugar, vanilla stirring well. Then add the banana.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and gently fold with a spatula until just combined. Try not to over mix, or muffins will become tough.
- Line a 12 tin muffin tin with paper liners. Generously fill each liner until batter is gone. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes on center rack, until a toothpick comes out clean. You may need to rotate the muffin tin once for even baking.
- Remove from oven and let sit one minute, then transfer to a cooling rack, unless a crowd has formed- then feed them nice hot muffins!!
- Healthy Pumpkin Spice Muffins
Here is another muffin recipe, but this one makes 24 muffins. Pumpkin is a great ingredient for a healthy snack!
- Pineapple Upside Down French Toast- A Make Ahead Brunch Recipe
Maybe pineapple is more your thing? Take a look at this easy recipe to make for a lazy weekend morning!