Best Chicken Spiedies Marinade Sauce Mix Recipe You Make Yourself
Best Chicken Spiedies Marinade Sauce Mix
I would like to share the best chicken spiedies marinade sauce mix that you make yourself. I have tried plenty of other different types of recipes for marinades over the years for chicken spiedies but I always go back this special blend of spiedie marinade sauce mix that you can make right at home.
The ingredients are relatively common around the kitchen or easy to pick up at a local market.The secret to this fine tasting chicken marinade sauce is in how the ingredients are mixed.
As with any recipe mixing the spices and other key ingredients will sometimes need to be added in a particular order otherwise the sauce or marinade may not have the right consistency or flavor which is part of what makes this recipe so special.
If you are not familiar with chicken spiedies here is a brief history about spiedies.
The term "spiedie" comes from the Italian "spiedo" meaning spit or "spiedini" referring to cubes or balls of meat cooked on a skewer.The original idea came from Italy brought over by Italian immigrants in the 1920's to the Upstate New York region.
Spiedie choices consist of cubes of chicken, pork, lamb, veal, venison or beef. The meat cubes are marinated overnight or longer in a special marinade, then grilled on wooden skewers. When using steel skewers they are called "spiedie rods" and then grilled over a charcoal grill. The cooked spiedies can then be skewered into a Italian bread roll and served. Also spiedies can be eating right off the wooden skewer or served with other dishes.
Rob Salamida became the first person to bottle spiedie marinade in 1975 with the name Salamida's Original State Fair Spiedie Sauce and it is the highest selling spiedie marinade.
There is a Spiedie Fest and Balloon Rally in Binghamton, New York that has been celebrated every August, since 1983. This annual event includes a spiedie cook-off in search of the best spiedie recipes.
More Spiedie Marinades
Preparing the Chicken for Spiedies
For this recipe we will use chicken breasts.
- Slice the nicely skinned chicken breasts into 1" X 1" cubes or smaller. The chicken pieces will need to fit into a roll for a spiedies sandwich.
- For grilling use steel spiedie rod skewers or if pan cooking place in glass baking dish to prepare for marinade.
Thing you'll need:
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
The Mixing Order:
- In a blender crack the egg and begin blending on medium speed.
- Once the egg is thoroughly beaten continue blending and slowly add the oil.
- This will make a mayonnaise type batter giving the marinade body and consistency.
- Still blending on low to medium add the half of the vinegar. Next add the salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning and finally the rest of the vinegar.
Marinade Over Chicken
- After blending the mix pour it over the chicken cubes.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 - 24 hours. 24 hours is best to fully soak through the meat.
Pan Cook or Grill
The chicken can be pan cooked on the stove or for great tasting spiedies grill on steel spiedie rod skewers over a hot charcoal grill.
Serve on a medium sized Italian sub rolls and top with mozzarella cheese for added flavor.
This recipe is very simple and easy to make. If you enjoy chicken then this is a wonderful recipe to try. If you enjoy the marinade why not experiment with other types of meat to enjoy the rich full flavor of a good tasting marinade. This recipe can also be used for chicken halves or other meats and the marinade mix can be doubled or tripled for a larger amount of marinade sauce is needed.