Best Coffee Cake Ever
This cake tastes amazing, is packed with nutrition, and keeps well. Make it for breakfast, afternoon snacks, and pack a slice in lunches. With ground almonds and whole wheat flour, it is nice and dense. It makes an excellent breakfast, and a lovely treat with a cup of tea.
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 1/4 cup wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cup (6 oz) Blanched, slivered almonds, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon powdered cardamon
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 lb (4 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cocoa, unsweetened
- Grease and flour a large bundt pan or tube pan. Preheat oven to 350.
- Chop the almonds very fine using a nutchopper, a food processor, or a knife. Reserve 3/4 cup chopped almonds to go straight into the cake batter: the remainder will be part of the nut filling.Combine the chopped almonds not reserved for the batter, the powdered cocoa, cinnamon and brown sugar. Set aside. This will be the nut filling.
- Combine the chopped almonds not reserved for the batter, the powdered cocoa, cinnamon and brown sugar. Set aside. This will be the nut filling.
- Combine the rest of the dry ingredients (including the reserved 3/4 chopped almonds) and stir together. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and granulated sugar. Beat in the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Beat together the wet and dry ingredients.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the nut mixture evenly over the surface of the batter. Then pour the second half of the batter on top. (You end up with a nut 'ribbon' in the middle of the cake.)
- Bake cake for about 1 1/4 hours. Let cool in pan a bit, then unmold.
A note on spices
This cake has an interesting medley of spices. The nut filling has cinnamon and cocoa.The cake itself is flavored with cardamon, a spice often used in Scandanavian baking. Not everyone stocks cardamon in their spice cabinet, and it is expensive. I really like the flavor it gives this cake, but a tablespoon of cinnamon can be used in place of the tablespoon of cardamon in the cake batter.