- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Best Ever Black Bean Burgers from Veganomicon
The Veganomicon is one of the best vegan cook-books available. I recommend it to all vegetarians and meat-eaters alike who are interested in adding a few meatless meals to their diet.
My husband and I went through several dud black bean burger recipes before we found this gem. Most of the time the burgers were tasty enough, but would fall apart way too easily. I am crazy for this burger recipe. I've passed it along to at least a dozen, mostly meat-eaters and it's a hit all around.
• 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
• 1/2 cup bread crumbs
• 1 teaspoon chile powder
• 1/2 tspn cumin
• 1/4 cup water
• 1 tblspn tomato paste
• 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 small onion, grated
• 2 tblspns olive oil
• hamburger buns
1. Mash the beans with a fork in a mixing bowl. You don't want to puree them; just get them mashed so that no whole beans are left, but you should leave some half beans.
2. Add the chile powder, cumin, water, tomato paste, cilantro, garlic and onion and mix together with a fork.
3. Mix in the wheat gluten and bread crumbs and then proceed to knead with your hands, until the mixture is firm and uniformly mixed.
4. Preheat a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat.
5. Divide the burger mixure into six equal pieces and roll each piece into a firm ball.
6. Use your palm to flatten the balls into a patty about 1/2 inch thick.
7. Pour a thin layer of olive oil into the pan.
8. Cook patties three at a time for 5 minutes on each side, gently pressing down on them with a spatula. Spray with olive oil before turning over.