- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Best Brown Sugar Meatloaf Recipe
This best meatloaf recipe produces a moist, tender, and flavorful dish. It is made from quality ingredients such as ground chuck (or ground turkey, your choice!), caramelized onions, and a tangy brown sugar sauce. The whole family will be asking for this meatloaf again and again.
- 1/2 Cup Ketchup
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
- 1 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 - 4 Dashes Hot Sauce, optional, your preference
- 1/4 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/8 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Pound Ground Chuck, 80/20
- 3/4 Cup Plain Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Medium Onion, diced, then caramelized
- 1 - 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and lightly coat a 5 x 9" loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Remove your ground chuck from the refrigerator to come up to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the first seven ingredients: the ketchup, brown sugar, yellow mustard, 1 tsp worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp black pepper. Once the ingredients have been incorporated, set the sauce aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ten ingredients: the ground chuck, breadcrumbs, milk, eggs, caramelized onions, garlic, 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce, oregano, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Mix the ingredients just until they are fully incorporated, as you do not want to overwork the meat.
- Place the meat mixture into the sprayed loaf pan, pressing down to make a flat surface on top. Pour the brown sugar sauce over the top of the meat, and spread it around evenly.
- Bake your meatloaf in the preheated oven for one (1) hour, uncovered. Once you remove the meatloaf from the oven, let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing into serving portions. Enjoy!
Do not overwork your meat:
It is very important to only mix your meatloaf until the other ingredients are incorporated into the meat. Doing so by hand is optimal. If you use a mixer, or if you overwork the meat even with your hands, the texture will not be correct. Meatloaf that is mixed too much will have a consistency that may remind you more of, well, canned catfood than it does of delicious meatloaf. Your raw meatloaf mixture should still resemble ground beef, not paste.
Meatloaf, Before Cooking:
Meatloaf, Straight from the Oven:
Delicious Meatloaf Dinner:
This meatloaf goes great with:
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Potatoes are cooked in broth, then put through a food mill and combined with rich butter, warm milk, and tangy Gorgonzola blue cheese. These potatoes are perfectly creamy, with just the right tang.
- Mushroom Gravy
Who doesn't love a rich and creamy gravy to smother their meat and potatoes in? This gravy has a rich beef flavor and butter-sauteed mushrooms, making it the perfect dinner accompaniment.