Indian Mango Lassi Recipes - Sweet, Salty, Spicy, Fruity, Savory Options
The traditional Indian and Pakistani Lassi is a salty yogurt beverage (resembling a smoothie), made from yogurt that has a thick foamy consistency. It was traditionally savory, salty and spicy and generally included cumin powder with a range of other spices.
Sweet and fruity lassi, especially mango lassi, is a more recent creation that has become very popular in Western countries. Rose water is commonly added to sweet lassi to provide a delightful aroma.
Sweet lassi can be prepared with a wise range of fresh fruits, such as mango, pineapple, banana, lychee, apple, pear strawberry, berries, peaches, plums. Honey and coconut are also added to modern recipes as well as a variety of spices and fresh herbs, especially mint.
Like most things it is the subtle mixture and combination of ingredients and how they are paired, and matched that makes all the difference.
You can also use a wide variety of yogurts including low-fat and Greek Styles.
See the recipes for some fabulous ideas for creating lassi masterpieces.
How to Make Mango Lassi
- 2 tablespoons cream (optional)
- one pinch of saffron (optional)
- 1 teaspoon rose water (optional)
- 2 cups chilled yogurt (optional varieties)
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder (should be included)
- 2 cups of fresh chopped mango pieces (or mango pulp)
- Honey or sugar to taste (depending on the ripeness and sweetness of the mangoes
Peel the mangoes, extract the pulp, and slice them. Then puree the mangoes in a blender, food processor, or using a hand mixer. Taste as add sugar or honey as required. Next add the yogurt, cardamom powder, cream (optional), saffron (optional) and rose water to the blender bowl and pulse for 1 minute until the mango is well combined. Pour the mango lassi into glasses and serve with ice.
Note: If you want a thinner consistency, add some milk or juice while blending, or ice cubes.
Best Ever Lassi Variations
The Method for the following recipes is much the same, and so only the list of ingredients is shown.
Banana and Cardamom Lassi Recipe
- 2 small bananas
- 2 large ice cubes
- 100ml (1/2 cup) water
- 4 whole cardamom pods
- 200g (7 oz) plain yogurt
Fresh Mint Lassi Recipe
- 1 or 2 ice cubes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lime or lemon juice
- 1 cup loosely mint leaves (washed)
- 2 tablespoon sugar, honey, or agave syrup
- 2 cups plain yogurt- but low-fat and non-fat yogurts can be used but the lassi will be thinner
Plain Sweet Lassi Recipe
- 2 cups yogurt
- 1-2 teaspoons of rose water
- 1/4 cup chilled milk or water
- 2 teaspoons of almond slivers
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed cardamom
- 2 tablespoon of fresh cream [optional]
- 2 tablespoons of sugar (more or less to taste)
Salty Lassi Recipe
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 1/4 cups of Water
- 1 cup plain yogurt (any type will do)
- 1 teaspoon of roasted and ground cumin
- Mint or other fresh herbs to garnish
Method - Roast the cumin seeds in a dry pan over moderate medium heat until you can smell the aroma. Remove from the stoves and set aside to cool and then crush using a pestle and mortar. Blend all the ingredients, except of the the mint, using a food processor or blender, until very smooth. Adjust the seasoning to your taste. Serve chilled, garnished with mint or other fresh herbs.
Spicy Chili Lassi Recipe
- 1/2 of ice
- salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Chat Masala
- 1 handful Fresh Mint Leaves
- 10 sprigs Cilantro (coriander)
- 1 cup (250ml) Yogurt of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon of roasted cumin powder
- 1 green Chili, seeds removed and finely chopped
Mixed Fruit Lassi Recipe (various fruits can be used as well, including berries)
- 2 cups yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 fresh mint leaves
- 1 medium pear, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserve
- 1 medium apple, roughly chopped
Vegan Mixed Spice Lassi Recipe with Almond Milk
Spices to be dry ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder (or 1 green cardamom)
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1/4 cup raw finely chopped cashews
Blend the spice mix with a little banana and 1 1/2 cups of almond milk. Add sugar or honey to taste .
Lassi Recipe Made with Greek-style Yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups ice
- sprinkle salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- fresh herbs for serving
- 2 cups Greek-style yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- leaves from 2 sprigs fresh mint
Simply Perfect Ripe Mango Lassi Recipe
- 5 ice cubes
- Splash of milk or water
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon soft light brown sugar
- Pinch of ground cardamom, or to taste
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chilled plain whole milk yoghurt
- 1 very ripe alphonso or honey mango or similar (about 200 g; 7 oz of mango pulp)
Place the mango pulp into a blender and add the ice cubes. Pulse until the ice is finely chopped and forms a slurry. Add the cardamom, sugar, lime juice and a little milk to create the right consistency. Taste the lassi and add more sugar (or a drizzle of honey) and lime juice as required. Pour into a glass and savour. This recipe make one glass.
© 2014 Dr. John Anderson