- Food and Cooking»
Best Milk Frother 2017: Handheld and Electric
Make no mistake, every latte, cappuccino, and hot chocolate needs a milky foam to be complete.
- A thick, creamy, and longer-lasting foam will transform your cappuccinos, upgrading them to coffee shop standards!
- An excellent milk frother enables the coffee lover to create gourmet quality beverages in the comfort of their own home, without having to pay coffee shop prices.
- Handheld devices are often more affordable and very easy to use, but electric versions can also usually keep the froth hot or cold after whisking automatically, and they also function as a pitcher for serving.
The 2 Main Types of Frother
- Handheld frothers usually take the form of a small body used to grip the device and hold the batteries and motor, plus a stem and whisker. The device works like a small propeller, whisking the hot milk into a foam. The best handheld devices are often made from stainless steel to give them a stylish appearance and durability, as well as make them easier to clean. Handheld frothers are usually much more affordable than electric versions. They also take up less space in your kitchen
- Electric frothers take the form of pitchers with an electric motor, which drives the whisking automatically. They have several main advantages over handheld devices. Firstly, they are often less messy and time-consuming than handhelds. Secondly, you don't have to transfer the foam to a separate pitcher after you have created it, as the device acts as a vessel for the foam. Thirdly, electric versions will often keep the foam hot for you after creation. Electric frothers are also typcially made from stainless steel for an elegant appearance, durability and cleaning ease. With handheld frothers, you may have to also buy a separate pitcher too, but with the electric version frother and pitcher are effectively combined in one.
#1 Best Handheld 2017: The Kuissential Slick Froth
The Kuissential SlickFroth 2.0 is a handheld milk frother, powered by 2 AA batteries (not included), that offers delicate foam creation for a very reasonable price.
Suitable for making homemade lattes, cappuccino, and hot chocolates, the Kuissential SlickFroth 2.0 enables the creation of gourmet quality hot beverages at home.
It has a stylish appearance and is very easy to operate. This model is an excellent improvement on the original version, created after customer feedback.
The stainless steel stem and whisking head make the Kuissential durable and easy to clean - all you need to do is to operate it in hot soapy water and then rinse.
I can't imagine a day without coffee. I can't imagine!— Howard Schultz
Two More Highly Rated Handheld Frothers
Below are a couple more products that I would recommend. I have selected them based on value for money, weighing the price against performance, features, and customer feedback.
Portable and Durable: The Kitchen Ace Cafe!
Constructed from stainless steel, this Kitchen Ace Cafe foamer offers stylish milk whisking at an affordable price.
Its solid design and durability are definitely major plus points. There are no plastic parts to crack or break off.
The Kitchen Ace Cafe is also remarkably quiet, so you won't have to wake up other members of the family when you are making your early morning lette!
This device is quick too, the powerful motor produces thick and creamy foam within 20 seconds. It is simple to operate with a simple on/off switch.
Well Designed and Inexpensive From IKEA!
The IKEA Produkt is cheaply priced but not cheaply designed or constructed.
The shaft and whip are designed from stainless steel, making the foamer durable and easy to clean (wipe clean with a damp cloth), as well as attractive in appearance.
The ABS plastic body houses the motor and the 2 AA batteries which power the device (not included).
An inexpensive way to make gourmet quality coffee and other beverages.
Using the IKEA Produkt
Consider Purchasing a Pitcher Too!
The Update International EP-12 is a best-selling stainless steel frothing pitcher that provides an ideal container and pourer for your foam.
It has a 12 ounce capacity and aolded pouring spout and sturdy handle, making it a perfect pitcher for preparing your cappuccino and lattes.
If you are purchasing a handheld device, this product is an excellent and affordable add on.
I am a coffee fanatic. Once you go to proper coffee, you can't go back. You cannot go back.— Hugh Laurie
Achieving the Correct Temperature
Getting the milk to the right temperature can be tricky, especially when using a handheld frother. If the milk isn't hot enough, it won't be at the correct consistency, if it gets too hot, it will be scolded.
The most accurate way to get the temperature right is to use an espresso thermometer. The ideal temperature for frothing is around 150ºF to 155ºF, go over 170ºF and the milk will taste burned.
#1 Best Electric Frother: The Epica Automatic!
Designed for those who love their creamy cappuccinos and luxurious lattes, the Epica Automatic is an electric device which offers excellent value for money.
The Epica is versatile, offering a choice of 3 settings, enabling you to make hot froth, cold froth, or hot milk. That means that you can use it for iced drinks, as well as hot ones.
This device produces a thick, creamy froth from whole milk, that is long-lasting, but it will also work with low-fat and soya milk.
Constructed from stainless steel, the Epica is rugged as well as stylish, durable and easy to clean. Vacuum insulation keeps your milk hot or cold.
This product also features a detachable carafe, making it easier to use, as you can the froth wherever you need to without worrying about the cord. It also makes pouring easier.
Two More Highly Rated Electric Frothers!
Below are a couple more electric frothers that I recommend, both offer excellent functionality and value for money. They come with a highly rated track record.
Versatile and Attractive: The Breville BMF600XL!
The Breville BMF600XL is an attractive milk frother with plenty of useful features.
Different settings allow you create smooth and silky milk for lattes, or thick and creamy for cappuccino.
The Breville also works as a hot chocolate maker, you simply add the chocolate powder etc. to the hot milk.
As the device works by induction heating, the removable jug can be cleaned separately, making maintenance easy.
I was taken by the power that savoring a simple cup of coffee can have to connect people and create community.— Howard Schultz
The Chefs Star Premier Automatic: Easy to Use and Clean!
The Chefs Star Premier Automatic is another top-rated product that I can recommend.
Constructed from high quality stainless steel, this foamer is ideal for creating hot and cold milk froth cappuccinos, lattes and hot chocolate.
The Chefs Star is automatic, allowing you to make thick and creamy froth at the press of a button.
Well-designed and sturdy, the jug can be detached from the base, making it easy to transport and clean.
It has a 125 ml frothing capacity and 250 ml milk heating capacity.
© 2014 Paul Goodman