- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Vegetable Main & Side Dish Recipes
How to Make the Best Roast Potatoes Ever!
So, you want the best roast potatoes too.....
You'll need these:
- Potatoes, Any variety though Maris Piper is best
- Water, for par-boiling
- 1 stock cube (chicken or veg.), Depends on the meat you use
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil, any grade
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds, Freshly ground is best but get what you can
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds, Freshly ground if you can
- 1 Onion, optional extra
Preparation & cooking time
How to prepare your potatoes for roasting.
- Choose a variety of potato you like. Lots of Chefs recommend this or that variety. I use whatever i can get hold of. I'm roasting it. I'm not presenting it to the Queen. It will taste like a roast potato.
- Peel & chop. some large, some small. This is essential as some will remain fluffy inside if large, and smaller ones will absorb more fat/oil and have crisper coating, extra scrummy.
- Par boil for about 10-15 minutes. This will ensure the outside has cooked broken cells that will crisp up better when roasting. You may need to experiment with the timing for your own cooker and variety of potato. I have been known to leave them boiling too long whilst reading the Sunday newspaper!
- The magic part. Now drain them well. you have to time the par boiling to coincide with the last 30-40 minutes of the meat dish roasting or they'll be over roasted and burnt. Once drained, return them to the empty pan. Add olive oil (any grade) and freshly ground teaspoon of fennel seeds & teaspoon of freshly ground coriander seeds. Providing you didn't over par-boil the potatoes, then you'll be able to turn them all over in this spice mix to give them all a bit of a coating. If the meat was seasoned then don't add any to the potatoes or you'll overdo it.
- Place potatoes around the roasting meat which will by now have released fats / oils into the roasting dish. You are advised to baste the potatoes in this juice now and several more times before the end of roasting or they'll stick and burn. Use the spatula to prise them off the base of the roasting pan to baste them with a long handled metal spoon to keep the spitting fat away from your hands. Note: if your cooking fat is too deep, the potatoes may roast but be a little soggy. You may need to remove some of it.
- Voila! roast potatoes. Enjoy.
Rate my Roasties!
Roast onion? or other roast veg?
I always roast a big fat onion with the potatoes as my Wife likes 'em.
Peel, skin & quarter the onion.
Mix it with the oil & crushed seeds with the potatoes. Roast it with them. Be sure to basted well or they just burn and come out like cinders.
If roasting veg, you can prepare the same spice seed & oil mix. Alternatively you might want to try Caraway seeds with your carrots and possibly mixing some dried thyme with any of these roasting veg or add it to the gravy when you prepare that.
Use the par-boil water for your gravy. (try adding thyme to make a different gravy)
Now go & cook those roasties!
You are now psychologically empowered to roast your own. You will succeed. You will impress those diners.
Come back and let me know how it went. If they didn't like it ask them to do better.
I suspect that maybe they have no functioning tastebuds!
© 2014 hawley